Speech Processing Lab Home > Advising
Most advising questions can be answered by consulting the following resources:
1. Undergraduate Catalog
Official University policies. Use the site’s keyword search function to find the information you need.
2. “My Ohio University Experience” Guidebook
Answers all commonly asked questions. Use your browser’s Edit-Find function to find the information you need.
3. CHSP Student Services
http://www.ohio.edu/chsp/studentservices/, Grover W370, (740) 593-9336
The CHSP Student Services office processes requests such as declaring a minor, course substitution, and DARS adjustment. If you have questions regarding procedures, contact the office directly.
4. OU’s Web Site for Current Students
Links to academic and extracurricular resources for students.
5. If your questions cannot be answered after consulting these resources, contact your adviser
Who is my adviser? Use My OHIO Portal to find out https://my.ohio.edu/uPortal/f/u25l1s4/normal/render.uP
If you have done your homework, your adviser will make every effort to find the answers for you.
6. If you have difficulties connecting with your adviser, please contact me
I am CSD’s coordinator of undergraduate education. The best way to reach me is by email email@example.com.
CSD Undergraduate Degree at a Glance
1. Curriculum Components
· General Education: http://www.catalogs.ohio.edu/content.php?catoid=39&navoid=2378
· Free electives
2. Tracking your progress
3. Beware of Prerequisites
· All described in Undergraduate Catalog. Just click on specific courses to find out.
· Example 1: CSD 3800 needs CSD 2530, which needs PHYS 2001/2002, which needs MATH 1200 or Math PL2
· Example 2: CSD 3900 needs MATH 2500, which needs Math PL2
4. Math Sequence Depends on Placement
· If your placement is DV, take
o MATH D005 (Developmental Math)
o MATH 1200 (College Algebra)
o MATH 1300 (Pre-Calculus)
o MATH 2500 or PSY 2110 (Statistics)
· If your placement is PL1: Start with MATH 1200
· If your placement is PL2 & PL3: Start with MATH 1300
5. Interested in Challenging Yourself? The Honors Tutorial (HTC) Program
· Housed in the Honors Tutorial College: http://www.ohio.edu/honors/
· Research-intensive program, one-to-one interaction with faculty
· Timeline: Students apply in fall of sophomore year. Program starts in spring of sophomore year for 2.5 years
· Detailed program information (MS Word)
· Application endorsement form (MS Word)
5. Educational Opportunities outside CSD
· Majors, minors, and certificates: http://www.catalogs.ohio.edu/content.php?catoid=39&navoid=2403#cert_code
1. Student Organizations
· Undergraduate Research Club: http://www.ohio.edu/orgs/hslsurc/
· Ohio University Chapter of National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ohio-University-NSSLHA/675493049147222
· Creative Expressions: https://www.facebook.com/ohiouce?ref=hl
· Respite Volunteer Program: http://www.ohio.edu/chsp/rcs/csd/communityengagement/respite-program.cfm
· American Sign Language Club: https://www.facebook.com/ASLclubOU
· Students of Audiology: https://www.facebook.com/OhioUniversityStudentsOfAudiologySoa?fref=ts
2. Education Abroad
3. Office of Nationally Competitive Awards
1. Find Graduate Programs
2. Career Coaching Service
The Assistant Director of the Career and Leadership Development Center for the College of Health Sciences and Professions (Zachary McGrain, firstname.lastname@example.org) will be available Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 2:30-4:30 p.m. Drop by the table located in the hallway on the third floor of Grover Center outside the Student Services Office. These sessions can help students interested in receiving coaching on resumes, cover letters, job search, major expiration, and leadership development. The web site for the Center is: http://www.ohio.edu/careerandleadership/
Dr. McCarthy’s blog: advice on academic and professional issues
Academic Essentials: presentations for new students during Bobcat Student Orientation