|Aired July 14, 2015||The credits roll. Right in the middle!|
Updated July 3, 2016
New with this update:
- WCBS-FM, New York. A total of 104 recordings from 1988 and 1996 through 2001.
- WAEB-FM, Allentown, Pennsylvania from 1988.
- WFBS, Berwick, Pennsylvania from 2002.
- WWKB, Buffalo from 1986.
- WCFL, Chicago from 1975.
- WLUP-FM, Chicago from 1980.
- WXRT-FM, Chicago from 1987.
- WQQQ-FM, Easton, Pennsylvania from 1988.
- WHYI-FM, Fort Lauderdale, Florida from 1974.
- WRSA-FM, Huntsville, Alabama from 1986.
- WFUN, Miami from 1974.
- WAFL-FM, Milford, Delaware from 1989.
- WBSS-FM, Millville, New Jersey from 1989.
- WIXI-FM, Naples Park, Florida from 1987.
- WKHI-FM, Ocean City, Maryland from 1988 and 1989.
- WBJW-FM, Orlando, Florida from 1989.
- WALK, Patchogue, New York from 1989.
- KYW, Philadelphia from 1939 and 1965.
- WFIL, Philadelphia from 1986.
- WLCE-FM, Philadelphia from 2001.
- WOGL-FM, Philadelphia from 2001.
- WPEN, Philadelphia from 2005.
- WYXR-FM, Philadelphia from 1998.
- WEZO-FM, Rochester, New York from 1988.
- WHAM, Rochester, New York from 1983.
- KKBH-FM, San Diego from 1996.
- KWSS-FM, San Jose, California from 1987.
- KSRF-FM, Santa Monica, California from 1992.
- WKXW-FM, Trenton, New Jersey from 1989.
- WCRV, Washington, New Jersey from 1971.
- CKLW, Windsor, Ontario from 1983.
- WNBC, New York from 1982.
- WXLO-FM, New York from 1975.
- Dick Bartley Solid Gold Saturday Night shows from 1983, 1984, and 1985
- Dick Clark Rock, Roll, and Remember re-broadcasts from 2016.
- Scott Shannon America's Greatest Hits from 2016.
- American Country Countdown from 1975, 1976, and 2016.
- AT 40 CHR/Hot AC from 2016
- Bob Kingsley's Country Top 40 from 2016.
- Casey's Countdown from 1994.
- Dick Bartley Classic Countdown from 2016.
- Dick Clark National Music Survey from 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, and 1985.
- Countdown USA with Dave Sholin from 1987.
- Weekly Top 30 with Mark Elliot from 1979 - the first show.
- Rick Dees Weekly Top 40 CHR from 1991, 1993, 1994, 2001, and 2016.
- Rick Dees Weekly Top 40 Hot AC from 2016.
- Soundtrack of the '60s from 1984.
If you have any vintage WABC, WNBC, WLS, anything from Cleveland from before 1980 (particularly WWWM, otherwise known as "M-105,"), anything from Rochester, New York before 1980, and anything of WGR, Buffalo before 1980 (especially Stan Roberts), I want to hear from you right now! I list my aircheck collection on this site for the benefit of those who might have something to trade with me and would like something in return.
If you're interested in a possible trade, send me e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to inquire about the cost to acquire a particular set of airchecks, please do so, and I'd be glad to quote a price for you. I charge only for my direct expenses: CD, packaging, postage, etc.,—I do not claim to own the copyright on any of this material. DecalcoMania, "the club for fans of radio," is the perfect place to meet other collectors, and information about joining is on the links page.
Please note that I am now sending out only digital media (audio CDs or
mp3 CDs and DVDs) in trade or for
purchase. I'm still glad to accept material in cassette format (as well as
pretty much any other format as well), but given the low cost and ubiquity of CDs now and the fact
that I now use several large hard drives for archival storage of material,
all of my collection is in mp3 format, and it is just easier, faster, and
cheaper to make digital copies than to make cassettes. I also trade extensively
via the internet using file sending services like adrive.com, sendspace,
myairbridge, and about a dozen others.
In addition to cassettes, other older media formats I can work with are LPs and reel-to-reel tape. If you have tapes or cassettes and would like what's on them transferred to CD, mp3, etc., I'd be glad to work with you. I've heard from people with reels of airchecks they've had since the 1960s but now have no way of playing them. I've borrowed these, done the transfer, and returned both the reels and new, CD versions, to the owners. I've done the same with LPs. Please contact me if you're in such a situation.
Some definitions, because I get asked this often. On the far right side of most of the lists of airchecks on the pages that follow is a column labeled "Scoped/Unscoped." "Scoped" (which is short for "telescoped") is aircheck/radio lingo for a recording of a radio station in which some aspect of the broadcast has been edited out. A fully scoped aircheck might have everything edited out (commercials, songs, newscasts) except for the DJ patter. It wasn't uncommon back in the day (and probably still true today) for disk jockeys to create audio resumes of their work to send to radio stations when seeking employment, and the best thing they could send would be a recording of their actual work. The program director at the new station didn't need to hear the full songs, commericals, etc, but rather only how the DJ sounded, and hence the editing. Many of those recordings survive to this day.
Some airchecks are "partly" scoped. Often this means that only the newscasts or only the commercials have been edited out. "Unscoped" thus means what you think it would mean, and that is that nothing has been edited out, and listening to the aircheck is indistinguishable from listening to the actual radio broadcast at the time. I greatly prefer unscoped airchecks, and you'll see that that's what I have the most of. I generally don't trade for scoped airchecks unless it's an unusual or rare recording or DJ or something like that.
As a general rule of my own, if an aircheck has only the newscasts edited out, I still call that an unscoped aircheck. Otherwise, I'll list what's actually missing (commercials, news) for a partly scoped aircheck.
One other comment about how things are organized of the pages that follow. Whenever new airchecks are added to any page, those airchecks are shown in bold type. That way you can find quickly what's been added since the last time that page was updated. Keep in mind that the date of the last update of any page is not necessarily the date shown at the top of this page as not all pages are updated every time the site itself is updated. Rather, the airchecks in bold are those added as of the update date shown next to that page's link in the lists below. This system does not apply to the lists of countdown shows as I don't keep separate dates for the updating of each year of shows. The listing at the top of this page indicates the years of which countdown shows were updated as part of the current update.
Listed below are the states, in alphabetical order, for which I have at least one aircheck. The date following the state name is the last time that page was updated with new airchecks. Within each state or category listing, the most recently added airchecks are shown in bold.
- Alabama (2016/07/03)
- Alaska (2009/08/30)
- Arizona (2015/06/05)
- Arkansas (2016/06/05)
- California (other than Los Angeles)
- Colorado (2015/05/31)
- Connecticut (2015/08/30)
- Delaware (2016/07/03)
- District of Columbia only. Stations licensed to cities in adjacent Maryland or Virginia are shown under that state. (2016/04/03)
- Florida (2016/07/03)
- Georgia (2016/04/03)
- Hawaii (2015/07/19)
- Idaho (2009/11/01)
- Indiana (2014/11/16)
- Iowa (2014/10/19)
- Kansas (2015/07/19)
- Kentucky (2015/07/19)
- Louisiana (2015/07/19)
- Maine (2009/02/26)
- Maryland (2016/07/03)
- Massachusetts (2016/04/03)
- Michigan (for CKLW, see Canada below) (2016/06/05)
- Minnesota (2014/10/19)
- Mississippi (2012/10/14)
- Missouri (2016/06/05)
- Montana (2015/11/15)
- Nebraska (2014/10/19)
- Nevada (2015/05/31)
- New Hampshire (2013/02/03)
- New Jersey (2015/07/03)
- New Mexico (2010/11/14)
- New York State (other than New York City)
- New York City
- WABC-AM, through 1975 (2016/06/05)
- WABC-AM, 1976 to the end of the music era, May 10, 1982 (2015/07/19)
- WABC-AM, post-music era (2014/06/15)
- WCBS-FM (see individual year pages for date of last update)
- WNBC, through 1979 (2016/04/03)
- WNBC, 1980 through 1988 sign-off (2016/07/03)
- All Other New York City stations (2016/07/03)
- North Carolina (2015/07/19)
- North Dakota (1998/06/30)
- Oklahoma (2016/01/24)
- Oregon (2015/05/31)
- Pennsylvania (2016/07/03)
- Puerto Rico (2008/11/16)
- Rhode Island (2016/05/29)
- South Carolina (2014/01/26)
- South Dakota (2001/07/27)
- Tennessee (2014/11/16)
- Texas (2016/04/03)
- Utah (2013/06/09)
- Vermont (2009/03/09)
- Virginia (2016/04/03)
- Washington (2015/12/13)
- West Virginia (2014/10/19)
- Wisconsin (2014/11/16)
- Wyoming (1998/06/30)
The Rest of the World
- Africa (2008/11/30)
- Asia (includes The Philippines) (2015/03/15)
- Australia (2015/05/31)
- The Bahamas (1999/08/09)
- Bermuda (2008/12/25)
- Canada (includes CKLW)
- Europe/Middle East (includes pirate radio) (2015/09/13)
- Mexico (includes border stations) (2015/05/31)
- New Zealand
- Pacific Islands
- South America
Other Radio-Related Material
These are not simple airchecks, but rather are collections of airchecks, special shows, countdown shows, and so forth. Click on the appropriate link.
- Aircheck Compilations. Collections of short airchecks from a variety of stations. (1999/05/07)
- Countdown Shows. American Top 40, Rick Dees Weekly Top 40, Dan Ingram Top 40 Satellite Survey, Leeza Gibbons Top 25, Casey's Top 40, American Country Countdown, various Dick Clark countdown shows, other Casey Kasem shows, and many more. (2016/07/03)
- Pre-1950. Several recordings of unique radio programs from the 1930s and 1940s including a significant amount of World War II radio coverage. (2011/01/23)
- Uncategorized Stuff. One-of-a-kind material that doesn't fit under any other category, including audio recordings of some old television network newscasts. Lots of interesting stuff here. (2016/05/01)
- Syndicated Programming. Dick Clark shows. Dick Bartley shows. Many others. Not countdowns, although some may play a "Top 10" or "Top 20" from a certain period in the past. (2016/07/03)