Outlook: Ohio University News and Information
Wednesday, August 27, 2003
 
Search Outlook
Email this Story
Email To:

Email From:

Ohio University Bicentennial
Today's News and Events
Other Campus News
For the Media
View all News
Chubu University gift supports expansion, renaming of Ohio University's Center for International Studies

ATHENS, Ohio (June 11, 2004) -- Thanks to a Bicentennial Campaign gift from Japan's Chubu University, Burson House, the building that houses Ohio University's Center for International Studies, has been renovated and expanded. The refurbished building will be dedicated and renamed Yamada International House at a ceremony at 11 a.m. on Saturday, June 19.

Burson House, home of the Center for International Studies for more than 40 years, was built in 1920. The renovation and expansion was made possible by a gift of 100 million yen, or approximately $850,000, from Chubu University in honor of its late chancellor Kazuo Yamada.

"This gift is a symbol of the strength of our relationship with Japan, and it also symbolizes our international connections," said Josep Rota, associate provost for international programs and director of the Center for International Studies. "It will always be a recognition of the friendship and generosity of former Chubu University Chancellor and President Kazuo Yamada, who passed away in 2000."

Special guests representing Chubu University at the Yamada International House dedication will include: Atsuo Iiyoshi, president of Chubu University; Ryozo Ohnishi, president of the board of trustees; Tajiro Nonaka, director of the Center for International Programs; Yuko Yamada, assistant director for international programs; Eiko Miura, sister of Kazuo Yamada; and Yuri Kim, niece of Kazuo Yamada.

Dedication activities will include a ribbon-cutting, unveiling of a plaque honoring Kazuo Yamada, remarks by the presidents of both universities and former Ohio University president Charles Ping and a tour of the building. The dedication will be followed by a reception at noon.

Ohio University's Center for International Studies is home to five graduate programs and an undergraduate degree. The center also coordinates many international agreements, coordinates the U.S. Fulbright program and houses a Peace Corps recruiting office and the Ohio Valley International Council.

The recent renovation and expansion more than doubles the facility's space to approximately 10,000 square feet. The building's addition houses a seminar room, a resource room for international outreach materials, office space for visiting professors and the Chubu University Room, which will provide space for visiting Chubu faculty and students and will feature Japanese art.

The Bicentennial Campaign - which has raised more than $203 million, surpassing its goal of raising $200 million to celebrate the university's bicentennial in 2004 - will provide money for scholarships, endowed professorships, technological enhancements, innovative programs, and selected capital improvements.

[ 30 ]

Media Contact: Center for International Studies Assistant Director for Communication Jennifer Cochran, (740) 593-1842 or cochraj1@ohio.edu

Editors: This event will make a great interview/photo opportunity. A follow up story with photo links will be sent by 2 p.m. the day of the event (June 19).

Related Links:

 
Please send comments to news@ohio.edu
Tel: (740) 593-2200
Fax: (740) 593-1887
Submit ideas for a story or news item
All Rights Reserved