By Katie Ronske and Kerry Kong
Courtney Greiner has to laugh when she remembers the first time her father experienced the infamous excursion up Jeff Hill to Court Street during Dads Weekend.
"My dad finally realized that I wasn’t exaggerating about OU being a hilly campus," Greiner said. "Needless to say, we drove everywhere the rest of the weekend."
This year, Greiner looks forward to relaxing and having one last hoorah with her father at Ohio University before graduating in the spring.
"I can always count on a great time when my dad comes to OU for the weekend," Greiner added. "It is a chance for him to get to see what my life as a college student is like and it gives him a chance to relive his college glory days."
A number of events are planned for Dads Weekend, Jan. 23 though 25 on the Athens campus, including hockey and basketball games, appearances by comedian Eric O’Shea and film producer Michael Uslan, and art exhibits in the Trisolini Gallery in the Baker University Center and the Kennedy Museum of Art.
According to Anne Lombard, assistant vice president for student affairs and director of campus life, the events help fathers gain a sense of the Ohio University community.
"This weekend gives dads an opportunity to come here and experience what their students are experiencing," Lombard said. "They get to live here for a little while and spend time on campus to get a better sense of what it is their son or daughter is getting from Ohio University."
Here is a preview of some weekend events:
- Comedian Eric O’Shea, Campus Activities Magazine's "2007 National Comedy Performer of the Year," will perform standup at 8 p.m. Friday in Baker University Center Ballroom. Admission is free.
- Ohio hockey will face Ohio State at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Bird Ice Arena. Doors open at 6:45 p.m. Tickets are $6 for students and $8 for adults.
- Ohio women’s basketball team takes on Northern Illinois at noon Saturday in the Convocation Center. Men’s basketball follows, with a match against Bowling Green at 2 p.m. Admission is free for students with a university ID. Tickets for adults cost $20 and $15 respectively.
- Ohio wrestling will compete against Buffalo at noon Sunday in the Convocation Center. Admission is free.
- Michael Uslan, the originator and executive producer of the Batman movie series including "The Dark Knight," will discuss his role in bringing Batman to the big screen Saturday at 7 p.m. Admission is free.
- "Herman Leonard-Photographs of Jazz Legends" will be on display at the Kennedy Museum of Art Friday from noon to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. The nine-photo display shows familiar faces of jazz musicians from the 40's, 50's and 60's, including Dizzie Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday. Admission is free. The display will run through Feb. 22.