Parents Weekend a chance to connect
Feb 19, 2009
By Kerry Kong
This coming weekend -- the second Parents Weekend of 2008-09 -- will give students and their parents a chance to connect on campus.
As an only child in her first year of college, Kelly Collins is counting on it to bridge her time away from home. "I miss (my parents)," she said. "I haven't seen them since they dropped me off for winter quarter."
Collins, a sport management major, plans to fill the weekend's agenda with sporting events. And the choices -- from basketball to hockey to wrestling match-ups -- are plentiful.
"Last quarter, since it was my first time away from home, (my parents) came twice," Collins said. "This quarter, they are just coming for Parents Weekend because there is a lot more to do on campus."
Among the options:
- The Winter Jazz Concert is at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Templeton Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. Admission is free for students with a university ID and children. Tickets for adults and seniors cost $5 and $3, respectively.
- OHIO wrestling will close out its home season with a pair of duals, taking on Eastern Michigan at 7 p.m. Friday and No. 7 Central Michigan at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Convocation Center. Admission is free.
- OHIO hockey will host Kent State at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Bird Ice Arena. Doors open at 6:45 p.m. Tickets are $6 for students and $8 for adults.
- The play "What the Butler Saw" will be performed at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Elizabeth Evans Baker Theater in Kantner Hall. Admission is free for Ohio University students, $10 for non-students and $7 for senior citizens.
- The OHIO women's basketball team will face MAC opponent Buffalo Bulls at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Convo. Admission is free for anyone wearing pink and $1 for everyone else.
Ohio University Family Weekends: http://www.ohio.edu/familyweekends/
Published: Feb 19, 2009 11:59 AM