By George Mauzy
Ohio University's Athens campus 2008 United Appeal campaign has been extended to March 31 to give members of the campus community the opportunity to participate in the drive that benefits 13 local nonprofit organizations.
Pledges to date total $71,611 toward the university's $105,000 goal. Overall, United Appeal for Athens County has raised $185,365 toward a goal of $210,000.
"We have extended the deadline in order to give all of those people on campus who want to participate one last chance to contribute to this year's campaign," said Ohio University Vice President for Student Affairs Kent Smith, co-chair of this year's university campaign with AFSCME Local 1699 President Dave Logan. "There are thousands of people in our community who need our help, and United Appeal provides us with a wonderful opportunity to assist them.
"I know people across campus are busy as winter quarter winds down, but I'm hopeful everyone will take a moment to make a pledge to this important community cause," Smith added.
Ohio University faculty and staff can give by:
Agencies to receive funding from this year's campaign are:
- American Red Cross Athens County Chapter
- Athens County Habitat for Humanity
- Appalachian Community Visiting Nurse Association Hospice and Health Services
- Retired Senior Volunteer Program
- Athens County Food Pantry
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Athens County
- Girl Scouts Seal of Ohio Council
- Girl Scouts of Black Diamond Council
- Tri-County Community Mental Health and Counseling's Epilepsy Services
- The Gathering Place
- Family Healthcare Services
- United Seniors of Athens County