ATHENS, Ohio (Oct. 26, 2006) -- The Ohio University Classified Senate recognized the five recipients of their yearly scholarships on Thursday, Oct. 19 at their monthly meeting in the Human Resources and Training Center.
Recipients are selected based on their FAFSA forms and on the basis of the guidelines and criteria established for each individual scholarship. This year's recipients were:
- Bridget Daugherty, junior, Cincinnati — Academic Scholarship
- Janelle Nichols, sophomore, Glouster, Ohio — Multicultural Scholarship for Appalachian Students
- Amanda Sweeney, senior, Circleville, Ohio — Non-traditional Scholarship
- Amber Goodfellow, junior, Stewart, Ohio — Ohio University Employee Scholarship
- Wayne Laughlin, sophomore, Chillicothe, Ohio — Regional Campus Scholarship
Each scholarship is a nonrenewable $1,000 award, except for the Multicultural Scholarship for Appalachian Students, which is a $1,000 award renewable for four years.
"I feel honored to be the first to receive the renewable scholarship," Nichols said. "I will continue to work hard and show the rest of the university that I do deserve this scholarship."
The scholarships are funded by Classified Senate's sale of Ohio University coverlets and pillows. Each scholarship is made possible by a minimum $15,000 endowment.
The student recipients were very appreciative of Classified Senate and all of their efforts to create these scholarships.
"I am honored to receive one of the scholarships that the Classified Senate members worked so hard to provide for us Ohio University students," Goodfellow said. "Their hard work and generosity is much appreciated."
[ 30 ]
Media Contact: Media Specialist George Mauzy, (740) 597-1794 or email@example.com