University community to celebrate Grand Opening of Baker Center
Everyone is invited to full day of celebratory activities
ATHENS, Ohio (Jan. 31, 2007) -- Ohio University will host the Grand Opening Celebration of Baker University Center. All are invited to attend the daylong celebration, which will kick off with a giant ribbon cutting ceremony and dedication at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 10, outside the Park Place entrance of Baker on the fourth floor.
"We are excited to welcome everyone to celebrate the grand opening of the new university center; a center that has already made such an impact on campus," said Anne Lombard, assistant vice president and director of Baker Center and Campus Life. "With a full day of activities planned, the Grand Opening Celebration is poised to be a memorable day, when all members of the university and Athens community can come together, celebrate and enjoy all the space has to offer."
While a full schedule of events can be found at www.ohio.edu/center/events/, some highlights of the day's events include dedication ceremonies, art exhibits, movies, musical performances and a lecture.
- To help the community get better acquainted with the center, guided tours of the building will be given throughout the day, departing from both Guest Services desks on the first and fourth floors. Also, all offices and spaces in the center will host open houses, many with refreshments, from 1 to 6 p.m.
- At 11:30 a.m., all are invited to the first floor for the dedication of the art installation by Aminah Robinson. The artwork depicts scenes from Poindexter Village, the Columbus community where Robinson grew up. All guests will have the opportunity to learn more about the artwork and the artist during a fireside chat with Robinson at 2 p.m. in the 1804 Lounge on the fifth floor.
- Just in time for lunch, at 11:45 a.m. the food court will have a ribbon-cutting ceremony, complete with music, prizes and samples. (All of the dining services in the center are always open to the public.)
- From 2 p.m. until close, guests are invited to the reception area outside the Grand Ballroom to take a look back at the original Baker University Center, with a display featuring artifacts, photographs and media clippings drawn from the Ohio University Archives.
- At 5:30, the internationally renowned musical performance group MASS! will hold a full-length performance with the Earth Harp, "The World's Largest Stringed Instrument." Throughout the day, the ensemble will hold 15-minute mini-performances in the center's atrium.
- At 7 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom on the fourth floor, Bobby Moresco, writer and producer of the films "Million Dollar Baby" and "Crash," will deliver a lecture. This event will be collaboratively hosted by University Program Council, Black Student Cultural Programming Board and International Student Union. "Crash" and "Million Dollar Baby" will be screened later in the evening in the second floor Theater. The lecture and movies are free with an Ohio University ID.
- The Front Room will host a coffeehouse concert at 10 p.m. by The Bastin/Remonko Jazztet and at midnight will host After Hours with free late-night snacks and games.
To see the full schedule of Grand Opening events, please visit www.ohio.edu/center/events/.
[ 30 ]
Media Contact: Media Relations Coordinator Jessica Stark at 740-597-2938 or firstname.lastname@example.org