ATHENS, Ohio (April 2, 2007) -- Nine students from the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism and three from the School of Visual Communication have won nine regional Mark of Excellence Awards for Student Journalism, the Society of Professional Journalists announced last week.
Eight of the awards are for work published in The Post, the student-run newspaper at Ohio University. That publication also receive a Mark of Excellence Award for Best All Around Daily Student Newspaper, which brings the total number of awards to ten.
"Our students tend to win a few Mark of Excellence Awards every year, but this is a particularly strong showing," said Bill Reader, assistant professor in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism and co-adviser of the Ohio University chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. "I know many of the winners personally and can attest to their talent and professionalism. These awards are very well deserved."
The awards are for journalism students in Region 4 of SPJ, which includes Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia, and western Pennsylvania. The actual place awarded to each student will be announced at the awards ceremony at the Region 4 conference, to be held April 13 to 14 in Detroit; students who win first place awards at the regional level are automatically entered into the national Mark of Excellence competition.
The winners from Ohio University, according to SPJ, are as follows:
- General News Reporting: Matt Zapotosky (journalism), "Law director doubles as landlord"
- In-Depth Reporting: Brittany Kress (journalism) and Janet Nester (journalism), "Reports, prof finds fault in business college"
- Sports Writing: Andrew Gribble (journalism) "Money in the bank"
- Editorial Writing: Justin Thompson (journalism), Chris Deville (journalism), and Joe Vance (journalism), selection of editorials
- General Column Writing: Catie Coleman (journalism), "Dansk with Me"
- Breaking News Photography: Chris Mackler (visual communication), "Bike sticker brings out bomb squad"
- General News Photography: Noah Rabinowitz (visual communication), "Mothers hit bars, take it easy"
- Sports Photography: James Moore (visual communication), "Ohio's shutouts shut down MAC"
- Television General News Reporting: Alexander Doletschek (journalism), "Halloween Safety"
The Society of Professional Journalists is one of the oldest and largest professional journalism organizations in the world, with more than 10,000 members. It's annual Mark of Excellence Awards are considered one of the most prestigious awards for student journalists.
The Ohio University campus chapter, sponsored by the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, is one of the largest and most successful campus chapters in the nation, having been named National Outstanding Campus Chapter in 2006 and Outstanding Campus Chapter in Region 4 for three years running. The chapter is currently advised by Reader and Assistant Professor Cary Roberts Frith.
[ 30 ]
Media Contact: Bill Reader, 740-597-1294 or email@example.com