ATHENS, Ohio (June 16, 2005) -- Today at its monthly luncheon, the Ohio University Emeriti Association presented the Ohio University Credit Union with a $5,000 check to support the Harry B. Crewson Freshman Scholarship at Ohio University.
In 2004, the Emeriti Association published “Ohio University Recollections for the Bicentennial Anniversary, 1804-2004,” a book of stories from Emeriti and other campus members celebrating Ohio University’s first 200 years.
“The publication is a way for the Emeriti to call attention to certain moments in Ohio University’s history that they remembered and that were worth telling in both words and pictures,” said Emeriti Association President Bob Hynes.
Proceeds from the sale of the book benefited the annual Crewson Scholarship, which is awarded to a first-year student who is the child of a credit union member. Crewson was responsible for the organization of the Ohio University Employees Credit Union in 1955 and became its first president.
Crewson served as interim president of Ohio University from 1974 to 1975. He followed Claude R. Sowle as president and served until Charles J. Ping was installed in office. During his term, Crewson began a freshman retention program to help orient new students to the campus and community. Many of the Freshman Experience courses, outgrowths of Crewson’s retention efforts, are still offered through University College. He also brought the College of Osteopathic Medicine, the first such school in the state, to Ohio University in 1975.
Crewson began teaching at the University in 1949 and spent 25 years as a professor of economics prior to his selection as interim president. After his tenure as president, Crewson returned to teaching as a Trustee Professor and was named Trustee Professor Emeritus in 1979. He fully retired from teaching in 1983 and was awarded the Phillips Medal of Public Service by the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine that same year. He passed away in 2003.
To make a gift to the Harry B. Crewson Freshman Scholarship, contact The Ohio University Foundation at 800-592-FUND or firstname.lastname@example.org. Checks may be made payable to The Ohio University Foundation (be sure to write “Crewson Scholarship” in the notes section) and sent to the foundation at P.O. Drawer 869, Athens, Ohio 45701. Gifts also can be made online at www.ohio.edu/give.
Complementary copies of “Recollections” are available at the Ohio University Visitor’s Center and Konneker Alumni Center (see receptionists).
The Ohio University Foundation is the repository for all private gifts through annual giving programs, capital, and special campaigns and planned or deferred gifts. The Foundation is an institutionally related, non-profit, tax-exempt, 501c(3) organization.
The Ohio University Emeriti Association is a nonprofit organization whose purpose is to encourage a sense of community, and to provide an opportunity for former members of the Ohio University faculty and staff to continue their acquaintance and social contacts and to engage in a variety of volunteer, advocacy, resource development, and information activities as appropriate for an organization associated with the Ohio University.
[ 30 ]
Media Contact: Director of Development Communication Jennifer Bowie, (740) 597-2987
Editors: A photo from the luncheon can be found at: