ATHENS, Ohio (Oct. 7, 2004) -- There is a supply problem with this year's influenza (flu) vaccine.
In accordance with the recommendations of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) we are asking Ohio University employees who are not included in one of the following priority groups to voluntarily forego their flu shot this year or delay until more vaccine is available.
Priority Groups for Influenza Vaccination:
The following priority groups for vaccination with inactivated influenza vaccine this season are considered to be of equal importance and are:
- all children aged 6–23 months;
- adults aged 65 years and older;
- persons aged 2–64 years with underlying chronic medical conditions;
- all women who will be pregnant during the influenza season;
- residents of nursing homes and long-term care facilities;
- children aged 6 months–18 years on chronic aspirin therapy;
- health-care workers involved in direct patient care;and
- out-of-home caregivers and household contacts of children aged <6 months.
Any influenza vaccine that becomes available because of Ohio University employees' voluntary deferral will be given to high priority individuals through the Athens County Health Department.
The revised flu vaccine administration schedule is from 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. at the Occupational Health Office, Room 235, Hudson Health Center on the following days:
HIGH PRIORITY EMPLOYEES
Those whose last names begin with A through G: Monday Oct. 25
Those whose last names begin with H through O: Tuesday Oct. 26
Those whose last names begin with P through Z: Wednesday Oct 27
Those whose last names begin with A through M: Thursday Oct 28
Those whose last names begin with N through Z: Friday Oct 29
Those whose last names begin with A through C: Monday Nov 1 T
hose whose last names begin with D through H: Tuesday Nov 2
Those whose last names begin with I through M: Wednesday Nov 3
Those whose last names begin with N through S: Thursday Nov 4
Those whose last names begin with T through Z: Friday Nov 5
[ 30 ]
Media Contact: Media Specialist Jack Jeffery, (740) 597-1793 or email@example.com