Graduate student email upgrade starts June 23: What you need to know
Tuesday, June 17, 2014
On June 23, 2014 OIT will begin upgrading graduate students from Exchange to Catmail.
The upgrade will bring 50 GB quotas and an improved web experience, but it also will bring a few temporary limitations to graduate student calendars, shared calendars and shared mailboxes. If you are a graduate student or an employee who interacts with graduate students, please keep the following details in mind.
Detailed upgrade timeline...
What to expect: graduate students
- Your email address will not change, but your email settings might.
- When your account is upgraded, mail delivery immediately will switch from Exchange to Catmail, so you won't miss any new messages; however, it could take up to 24 hours after your account is upgraded for your old Exchange mail to appear in your Catmail account.
- If you have any old messages that you cannot be without for up to a day, consider saving them locally.
- You will not be able to see free/busy times for users who are still on Exchange, including faculty and staff, until we have upgraded all graduate students. This process could take up to three weeks.
- Full calendar capabilities will return once all Exchange users have been upgraded.
- If you are a Delegate for another person, if you manage a calendar resource like a lab or if you have access to a shared mailbox or shared calendar, keep in mind that you will lose access to these features until the corresponding accounts or resources are upgraded. In some cases, this could take several weeks or longer.
What to expect: faculty and staff who interact with graduate students
- The faculty/staff portion of the upgrade will begin after the graduate student upgrade is complete.
- You will not be able to see free/busy times for graduate students until we have upgraded all graduate student accounts. This process could take up to three weeks.
- If you have any graduate students who share your calendar, manage your calendar or share a departmental mailbox, those students will lose those capabilities until the corresponding resources or employee's accounts are upgraded.
- Whenever possible, we will move departments and individuals who share calendars or mailboxes as a group.
If you have any questions, please contact the OIT Service Desk at 740-593-1222 or www.ohio.edu/oitech.
Email home page
Email upgrade overview with timeline
Email upgrade PowerPoint (hosted on Box)