The Exchange e-mail system supports accounts for both individuals and groups (for example, academic or administrative departments). Unlike individual mailboxes, departmental mailboxes are accessible by a list of users who are identified by their Ohio IDs. Users on the list may have different permissions; some may only be able to read mail, and others may have permission to modify and delete messages.
Departmental mailboxes can be accessed by an e-mail client that uses the Exchange protocol (Outlook, OWA). Each departmental mailbox user must have a valid Exchange account.
To send email from a shared mailbox, show the "From" field in a new message by going to the Options tab and selecting the From button. Then select the "From" field, choose "Other Email Address" and search the GAL for the departmental account. After successfully sending the first message, the address will be an option in the drop down.
Note that the sent message copy is placed in the sender's Sent Items folder and not the shared mailbox's Sent Items folder. Similarly, a deleted message will be placed in the owner's Deleted Items folder instead of the shared mailbox's.
To request a departmental mailbox, please visit http://www.ohio.edu/oitech to place a work order. Please include the following information:
Mailbox Address (firstname.lastname@example.org):
Mailbox Name as it should appear in the GAL (Global Address List):
Mailbox Owner(s) Ohio ID:
1. Select the File Tab in the top left of Outlook
2. Click the Account Settings button and choose Account Settings from drop-down box
3. Select the Change button
4. Click More Settings at the bottom right
5. Select the Advanced tab
6. Select the Add button
7. Type in the mailbox name you received from the Service Desk and select OK
8. Select Apply and OK
9. Select Next, then select Finish
10. Close the Account Settings window
1. Entourage menu, choose Account Settings...
2. Have one account, your personal Exchange account "set up normally"
3. Double click on that account
4. Click on the Delegate tab
5. Click the "Add" button below the lower box, "Users I am a delegate for," to specify each departmental inbox using its short-form e-mail address
There are two methods using OWA. The first method will work for students who do not have Exchange accounts but do have permissions to access a departmental account. The second method will be easier if you are already logged into OWA and selected "This is a private computer".
Accessing Departmental Mailbox directly
1. In any web browser, type this in the address bar http://email@example.com ; where firstname.lastname@example.org is the e-mail address of the department/office mailbox
2. Log in using email@example.com and password, where ohioid is your Ohio ID
Accessing a Departmental Mailbox from your own Exchange account
1. Log in to OWA (Premium version, using Internet Explorer) as you normally do
2. Click on your name in the upper-right corner of the window. The "Open Other Mailbox" field will appear
3. Type the name of the departmental mailbox you wish to view, and click "Open..."
4. The mailbox you select will open in a new Tab in the same Internet Explorer window