LGBT Health Information
Smoking & the LGBT Community
Studies show that the LGBT community has higher than average smoking rates. Gay and bisexual men alone are twice as likely as non-gay men to smoke cigarettes, Lesbians are more likely than non-gay women to be heavy smokers, and Transgender folks have the highest smoking rates in the LGBT community. Opinions as to why these rates exist vary, yet our goal is to curb this trend within our community. We hope these statistics, articles and websites are helpful.
- LGBT People are 40-70% more likely to smoke than non-LGBT People (1,2)
- LGBT adolescents are taking up smoking at an alarming rate, in a recent national study 45% of females and 35% of males reporting same-sex attraction or behavior smoked. In comparison, only 29% of the rest of the youth smoked. (3)
- Although more lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender smokers believe smoking increases their risk of diseases such as lung cancer and heart disease, fewer have made quit attempts (75% compared with 80% of all adults.) (6)
- American Cancer Society estimates that over 30,000 LGBT people die each year of tobacco-related diseases. (4)
- LGBT people have been successfully targeted by tobacco companies...
- Tobacco companies offer an unknown amount of financial support to LGBT festivals, bars, media and local organizations. (1) As early supporters of LGBT causes, the Tobacco companies garnered appreciative community response, since many other funders avoided LGBT issues. (5,6)
- Ryan H, Wortley PM, Easton A, Penderson L, Greenwood G. Smoking among lesbians, gays and bisexuals: a review of the literature. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Aug 2001;21(2):142-149
- Center for Health Policy Research at the University of California Los Angeles. California Health Interview Survey. http://www.lgbtpartnership.org/sisyouknow.html. Accessed May 23, 2005.
- Petrov A. Smoking by Young Gays at ‘Alarming’ Level. http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/10/102504smoking.htm Accessed May 23, 2005
- American Cancer Society. Tobacco and the GLBT Community. http://www.glbthealth.org/documents/GLBTTobacco.pdf Accessed May 23, 2005.
- Often N. Is tobacco a queer issue? Perceptions of LGBT Community leaders. Paper presented at: National Conference on Tobacco or Health; May 4, 2005; Chicago.
- Harris Interactive. Gay and lesbian brand loyalty linked to advertising.http://www.harrisinteractive.com/news/allnewsbydate.asp?NewsID=478Accessed May 23, 2005
- LGBT People and Smoking
- Tobacco Smoke and HIV AIDS
- LGBT People and Clean Indoor Air
- Smoking Cessation Fact Sheet
- Smoking & LGBT
- LGBT - Tobacco Action Plan
- Some of the ways that the Tobacco Industry Markets to LGBT People
- Smoking Among LGBT Review of Literature
- Burning Love Big Tobacco Takes Aim at LGBT Youths
4 Our Health - This quarterly health newsletter is produced by the student-staff of the OU LGBT Center from Fall 2003 - Fall 2005
Local HIV Test Center Information Information as of 01-18-11