Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally
Society of Alumni and Friends
CONSTITUTION and BYLAWS
OHIO UNIVERSITY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
Name and Purpose
The name of the organization shall be the Ohio University Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally Society of Alumni and Friends.
The purpose of the SOCIETY shall be to aid and promote the general welfare of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally Society of Alumni and Friends, in order to achieve the goals of the Alumni Association and to promote and facilitate the active involvement of alumni and friends of the SOCIETY. A secondary purpose of the SOCIETY is to work to improve the quality of campus life for current Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Ally students and to assist them in bridging campus to career.
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally Society of Alumni and Friends is an official constituency of the Ohio University Alumni Association.
Membership in the SOCIETY is open to all alumni and friends of Ohio University Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Ally Communities. Membership will not exclude any interested alumni or friend.
Ohio University Alumni are those persons who have completed one (1) year of study at Ohio University regardless of participation with the Ohio University Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Ally Communities.
Friends are those persons, agencies, and organizations that have demonstrated an interest in the general welfare of the Ohio University Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Ally Communities.
Board of Directors
The affairs of the SOCIETY shall be managed by a Board of Directors, a majority of whom shall be alumni of Ohio University Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Ally Communities, all of whom shall be regular members in good standing of this society and representative of all eras of the Ohio University Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally Society of Alumni and Friends.
The number of Directors, terms of office, and manner in which they are elected shall be set forth in the bylaws.
The powers and duties of the Board of Directors shall include the powers and duties normally enjoyed by the Board of Directors of similar organizations; provided, however, the powers and duties are in accordance with the policy and regulations of Ohio University and the Ohio University Alumni Association; and, in addition to the powers and duties set forth in the bylaws.
Meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held in the Spring and Fall of each calendar year. There shall be at least two scheduled meetings of the Board of Directors held annually at such time and place as may be determined by the Executive Committee. The Spring Meeting is designated as the Annual Meeting. Notice of the time, date, and place of each meeting shall be given to the members at least sixty (60) days prior to the meeting.
A report of the Annual Meeting shall be submitted to the Executive Director, Ohio University Alumni Association by the Society Executive Committee and shall include accomplishments from the previous year and plans for the future.
This constitution may be amended or repealed at any meeting of the Board of Directors, by a favorable vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the Board Members present.
Robert's Rules of Order shall be the governing parliamentary procedure of the SOCIETY.
-Approved on October 27, 2001 in Athens, Ohio.
Meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held as stated in Article V if the Constitution.
Special meetings may be called by the Executive Committee or by any five (5) members of the Board of Directors. Notice of special meetings will be given to each member of the Board of Directors ten (10) days in advance of the meeting and shall include the purpose and the location of the meeting.
Board committees may call supplemental meetings throughout the year at their discretion.
The Executive Committee shall meet at least once more than the Board of Directors throughout the calendar year.
Board of Directors
The initial Board of Directors shall be elected by the organization's Steering Committee.
The Board of Directors shall number eleven (11) elected directors, six (6) shall be elected for a term of three (3) years, and 5 shall be elected for a term of two (2) years and/or until the qualification and election of their successors. Terms of the directors shall be staggered so that no more than one-third (1/3) of the members shall change in any given one (1) year. The Coordinator/Director of the Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Programs or his/her appointed representative shall serve as a non-voting campus liaison to the SOCIETY.
Directors are selected as follows:
- All directors shall be nominated and elected from the regular membership. Nominations may be made by alumni and friends of the Ohio University Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Ally Communities.
- Directors shall be nominated and approved by the Board of Directors in accordance with Article IV of the Constitution.
- Election of directors shall be held at the Spring Meeting.
- The terms of the elected directors shall begin July 1 following the Spring Meeting.
- No director who has held office for two (2) full terms (six (6) consecutive years) shall for eligible for a third term for at least one (1) year with the exception of the person serving as Chair who shall be allowed to serve as immediate Past Chair the following year with the understanding that the subsequent year would be rotational year off the board.
- The immediate Past Chair of the SOCIETY shall automatically be a member of the Board of Directors for two (2) years.
- Officers of the SOCIETY, as defined by Article III of the bylaws, shall be members of the Board of Directors.
- The Executive Director of the Ohio University Alumni Relations or his/her designated appointee shall be advisor to the Board of Directors.
The officers of the SOCIETY shall be Chair, Vice Chair, Clerk, and Immediate Past Chair. The officers' term shall be two (2) years. The officers shall be elected by the Board of Directors or from within the Board of Directors at the Annual Meeting.
DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS:
The Chair or his/her designee shall preside at all meetings of the Society or its Directors, and appoint committees, and serve as a member thereof for two (2) years. The Chair shall exercise all powers and perform all responsibilities delegated by the Board of Directors.
The Vice Chair shall perform such duties assigned by the Chair and bylaws and shall be vested with all of the powers and responsibilities of the Chair during the absence of the Chair. The Vice Chair coordinates the Nominations Committee for the Board of Directors. The Vice Chair shall serve as the treasurer in charge of funds, fund-raising and all monetary concerns.
The Clerk shall be responsible for keeping official minutes, records of votes, resolutions, and proceedings for the Society and its Board of Directors. This information shall be forwarded to the Executive Director of the Ohio University Alumni Association or his/her designated appointee.
IMMEDIATE PAST CHAIR
The Immediate Past Chair shall serve as a voting member of the Board of Directors and member of the Executive Committee. The Immediate Past Chair shall preside at meetings in the absence of the Chair or Vice Chair.
The Chair shall have the authority to fill, by appointment, vacancies in the office(s) of Vice Chair or Clerk on an interim basis until the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board.
The Board of Directors shall have the power to create from time to time such committees, standing or special, and to give such powers and authority, as it shall deem best, and to revoke their appointment.
Standing committees shall include, but not limited to the Executive Committee; Alumni/Student Recognition Committee; Career Contact and City Connections Committee; Planning and Networking Committee; and Nominations Committee;.
- The Executive Committee shall consist of the officers of the Board of Directors.
- The Alumni/Student Recognition Committee shall consider and recommend to the Board of Directors awards, scholarships and honors to be issued by the SOCIETY and recipients thereof.
- Career Contact and City Connections Committee shall work to establish links between graduating students with Alumni to ease the post college transition.
- The Planning and Networking Committee shall identify means to enhance the activities of the SOCIETY and provide for improved effectiveness in achieving participation, financial support, and loyalty.
- The Nominations Committee shall consist of not less than three (3) members appointed by the Vice Chair. The committee shall be responsible for submitting a slate of nominations for the Board of Directors at the Annual Meeting.
The following criteria shall be used for selection of the nominees:
- They must be willing to provide faithful service to the SOCIETY and Ohio University Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Ally Communities.
- They must have the ability and dedication to attend all meetings of the Board of Directors. Missing three (3) meetings during one term may result in the board member being replaced.
- They must be a credit to Ohio University.
- They must promote and assist in the implementation of all SOCIETY programs approved and sponsored by the Board of Directors.
- They must conform to the Constitution and Bylaws of the SOCIETY
Special Committees or ad hoc committees may be established at the discretion of the Chair or by majority vote of the Board of Directors.
ALUMNI MAILING LISTS
The University has charged the Office of Alumni/Development Records with the responsibility of maintaining official alumni records. Separate alumni mailing lists shall not be maintained except for selected programs or events. However, due to the special nature of this SOCIETY and the wishes of our constituency a separate mailing list shall be kept by the Board of Directors with the provision that twice a year the SOCIETY shall compare lists with the Office of Alumni/ Development Records under the continuing understanding that individual alumni records shall in no way be identified or affiliated with this SOCIETY. Address or record changes received by the Society shall be forwarded to the Office of Alumni Relations and Development.
In accordance with established University policy, the SOCIETY shall not plan, organize, or conduct any fund activities without prior approval of the Development Office.
The Board of Directors shall appoint at the Annual Meeting two (2) undergraduate or graduate students enrolled at Ohio University as a non-voting member of the Board of Directors. These students shall be nominated by the Coordinator/Director of the Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Programs.
The Historian shall be appointed by the Chair and shall be responsible for gathering, cataloging and maintaining any such artifacts owned by, or on loan to, the SOCIETY.
These bylaws may be amended or repealed at the Annual Meeting of the Board of Directors by the affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the number of members in attendance at the meeting, with the exception of those bylaws, or Sections thereof, which are included in accordance with policies and regulations of Ohio University and/or the Ohio University Alumni Association, which shall be amended or repealed by the respective authorizing institution.
- Approved on October 27, 2001 in Athens, Ohio.