Writing Skills Learning Objectives:
- Communicate effectively in writing to a variety of audiences and for a variety of purposes.
- Use writing as a tool for thinking and learning.
- Develop skill in planning writing and completing tasks.
- Appropriately apply conventions of writing.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Respond appropriately to diverse rhetorical situations.
- Understand how genres shape reading and writing.
- Write in several genres.
- Use writing and reading for inquiry, learning, thinking, and communicating.
- Integrate their own ideas with those of others.
- Understand writing as a series of tasks, including finding, evaluating, analyzing, and synthesizing primary and secondary sources.
- Understand the relationships among language, knowledge, and power.
- Be aware that it usually takes multiple drafts to create and complete a successful text of any kind.
- Develop flexible strategies for generating, revising, editing, and proof-reading<./li>
- Learn to critique their own and others' works.
- Use a variety of strategies to address a range of audiences.
- Develop knowledge of genre conventions ranging from structure and paragraphing to tone and mechanics.
- Practice appropriate means of documenting their work.