July 10, 2014 : Video Documenting Covered Bridge Move to OUL to be Shown at Dedication Event
- Cheri Russo
Communications and Marketing Manager
Lancaster – A dedication ceremony will be held tomorrow, July 11, for a new Ohio Historical Marker
for the John Bright Number 2 Covered Bridge
on the Ohio University Lancaster Campus. A nine minute video documenting the bridge’s move to OUL in 1988 will be shown during the festivities.
The bridge, which is listed with the U.S. Parks Department on its Registry of Historic Places, was built in 1881 and has a rare reverse bowstring style truss. It originally spanned Poplar Creek near Carroll, but it was relocated to the Lancaster Campus for preservation in April of 1988.
The video, produced by OUL Communications and Marketing Manager Cheri Russo in conjunction with WOUB Public Media
, features pictures taken while the bridge was on its six hour journey from Poplar Creek to OUL. Moving the more than 100 year old bridge was a delicate process and many problems occurred along the way.
To celebrate the bridge and its history, a panel discussion about the bridge will be held from 3:30
p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Raymond S. Wilkes Gallery for the Visual Arts. The video will be shown prior to the discussion. The panel, which will include OUL Assistant Professor of History Dr. Mark Nevin, David Simmons, President of the Ohio Historic Bridge Association, and Hal Nihiser, former Director of the OUL Physical Plant, will examine the history and significance of the bridge.
After a small reception, the celebration will move outside and the dedication of the new marker will be held at 5 p.m. Several local and state officials will be on hand for the event, as well as the family of former Lancaster Campus Dean Ray Wilkes. Wilkes was instrumental in bringing the bridge to campus. The event is free and open to the public.