Global Engagement Awards
The International Education Week Committee at Ohio University is soliciting nominations for three Awards for Excellence in Global Engagement. The awards recognize faculty, staff, and alumni for their outstanding contributions to international education, global competency, cultural understanding and/or international programs at Ohio University or in their fields or disciplines. The award is sponsored by Senior International Management Team and administered by International Education Week Committee and the Center for International Studies.
One faculty, one staff, and one alumnus award will be given each year. An annual award ceremony will take place during International Education Week in mid-November. The faculty and staff recipients will receive a plaque and $1,000 to support their professional development endeavors. The alumni recipient will receive a plaque and a travel allowance to fully or partially cover the cost of travel to Athens to attend the award ceremony.
Nominees must be current full- or part-time faculty at Ohio University (Either Group I or II) or emeriti faculty who have demonstrated excellence in promoting international education and global engagement in at least one of the following areas:
- Teaching: Nominees must have demonstrated a commitment to international education though their primary course work or through special topic courses they have developed at Ohio University. Identifying innovative educational opportunities and inspiring colleagues and students to engage globally are important hallmarks of suitable nominees.
- University/Community Service: Nominees must have demonstrated commitment to the promotion of international education through the development and leadership of study abroad programs at Ohio University, involvement with student organizations that have promoted global awareness on campus, outreach to the campus community with the intent to educate community members about Ohio University’s commitment to global education, or building institutional capacity at home or abroad through their leadership capacities.
- Research: The nominee must demonstrate that they have an “international presence” in their area of research either through partnerships with international universities or presentations of their research at international conferences.
Nominees must be current or retired full-time staff members at Ohio University (either classified staff or administrators) and must have been instrumental in advancing significant international understanding, global engagement, or international education at home or abroad. Innovation, creativity, and inspiration in promoting global education, cultural understanding, intercultural teaching and learning, and/or development of international learning among students, staff, and faculty are important hallmarks of the nominees in this category.
Nominees must be alumni of Ohio University (as defined by the OHIO University Alumni Association) and must demonstrate outstanding contributions to global education and international programs offered through the University. Nominees must have been instrumental in strategically advancing Ohio University’s reputation as a recognized global leader.
Nominator: The nominator must be a current or former member of Ohio University’s faculty or staff or alumnus/ alumna.
All nominations will be considered for 2 years. If you nominated someone the previous year, you may wish to update their vita and your letter.
Nomination materials for the Award for Excellence in Global Engagement should be submitted electronically to the Center for International Studies. A selection committee under the leadership of Senior International Management Team will select the recipient.
The nominees will be evaluated on the basis of the materials submitted. These materials, listed below, should provide a detailed description of the nature of the nominee’s contribution in the field of international education, internationally focused research, institution building, or academic and global outreach programs.
One page form requesting biographical and contact information for both the nominee and the nominator.
A full C.V. or résumé of the nominee.
Letter from Nominator
The nominator’s letter
- Should focus on personal knowledge of the nominee’s career accomplishments and reputation as they relate to this award.
- Should also highlight the nominee’s outstanding contributions in his/her field or area of responsibility and the impact on the advancement of global education, international understanding, global engagement, international education, promotion of international programs, international research collaboration, and/or institution building, at home and abroad.
In the case of faculty nominees, describe how the individual has distinguished him or herself through the creation of innovative educational opportunities, the inspiration of colleagues, students and staff to engage globally, and/or by serving the global community as a leader.
In the case of staff nominees, describe how the individual has promoted global education, cultural understanding, intercultural teaching and learning, and/or development of international learning among students, staff, and faculty using innovation, creativity, and/or inspiration.
In case of alumni nominees, describe how the individual has contributed to global education and international programs offered through the University and has been instrumental in strategically advancing OHIO University’s reputation as a recognized global leader.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION
Please email one set of nomination materials to Marian Carr at email@example.com.
Deadline for submission is September 14, 2015. The award announcement will be made in October and a celebration will be held during International Education Week in mid-November 2015
For questions or more information, contact David Koonce, Associate Dean for Graduate College, at 740-593-9759 or firstname.lastname@example.org.