Family Status Change
Each year employees have the opportunity to make changes to their benefit plans during the annual open enrollment period. Otherwise changes may only be made if an employee experiences a family status change such as:
- birth/adoption of a child
- death of a covered dependent
- change in employment status (for employee, spouse, domestic partner or employee's dependent that affects eligibility for health insurance benefits)
- change of insurance coverage of a covered dependent
- beginning or ending of employee's domestic partnership
- change in a dependent's student status (e.g., due to age or withdrawal from college)
Special Plan Year 2013-2014 Mid-Year Election Changes Due to Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA): An employee may make a one-time change to their plan year 2013-2014 health insurance enrollment (begin coverage, change coverage tier, or drop coverage) to comply with the ACA individual coverage mandate or due to obtaining health insurance coverage through a State public health exchange.
The Benefits Office must be notified within 31 days
of the family status change. Family status changes are subject to change according to state and federal laws and regulations.