- Residential Housing Home
- Move-in Information
- Department Profile
- Contracts & Assignments
- Residential Education
- Residence Halls
- University Apartments
- Guest & Interim Housing
- Planning & Assessment
- Staff Only Processes
- Campus Involvement Center
- Campus Recreation
- Career Services
- Commuter Student Services
- Conference Services
- Counseling & Psychological Services
- Culinary Services
- Division of Student Affairs
- Environmental Health & Safety
- Health Promotion
- Maintenance (Facilities Management)
- Off-Campus Living
- Office of Information Technology
- Ohio University Police (OUPD)
- Parking Services
- Path to Promise
- Student Health Services
- University Custodial Services
First Year Room Selection Process
Where Do You Start?
Review the information posted here and check your email!
The most important thing you can do to prepare for the First Year Room Selection process is to review the information put out by Residential Housing. This page contains information designed to walk you through the process and answer many of the questions you might have. We also recommend that you regularly review the information that is sent to your Ohio University email account. Messages from Residential Housing will come from email@example.com.
To access the on-line housing and dining contract, click on the “Apply Online” button located under the site menu on the left of the screen.
Log in using your OHIO ID and password and select the “Login” button under "ApplyOnline." You will then see the Application Selection screen and will select “New Student Contract 2141 (Fall Semester 2013-14)” from the drop down list.
Read and agree to the contract Terms and Conditions. Please note: by accepting the terms and conditions you are agreeing to a contract that is binding for fall and spring semester. After accepting the Terms and Conditions, you will be advised that a $200 housing deposit/prepayment is required and will be given the option to pay through CashNet. If you are not prepared to pay at this time, you can complete the housing application and your information will be saved. To pay the deposit at a later time, you must log back into your housing application and navigate to the end until you reach the payment page.
Please note: Only those applications completed (including deposit payment) will be eligible to participate in the First Year Room Selection process. Students whose applications are received after this day will be assigned a room by Residential Housing.
Answer the application / contract questions and select a meal plan.
If you did not pay when completing your application, finalize your contract by submitting a $200 housing deposit/prepayment. Payments must be received by May 1, 2013 by 3:00 p.m.
In order to participate in the first round of the selection process, the housing application and deposit must be received by the May 1 deadline.
Payments can be made on-line at the end of the contract completion process OR by submitting a check to the following address:
Residential Housing, 060 Chubb Hall, Athens, OH 45701Please note: An online payment is recommended. If mailing a check, it must be received and processed no later than 3:00 PM on May 1, 2013 to be eligible for the first round of selection.
Tips to Prepare:
- Review and understand the contract terms and conditions of the housing contract
- Make sure that you know your OHIO ID and password
- Make sure that you have everything you need to make your $200 housing deposit (credit card information, bank routing number or a check for $200 mailed before the deadline).
Make Changes to the Contract:
If you wish to make additions, deletions or changes to your contract, you can do so online. To make changes to your personal preferences, visit the Apply Online system. To change your meal plan, visit MyHousing.
Deposit Refund and Contract Cancellation Process:
First year students who decide not to attend Ohio University may request a refund of their $200 housing deposit up until May 1. All contract cancellations and deposit refunds must be requested in writing, via your OHIO email account, by fax or letter. The request must include your name and PID number and the request must be received/postmarked by the May 1 deadline.
Students who know who they would like to reside with can add a roommate request beginning May 6, 2013 by visiting MyHousing. For those students who do not have a designated roommate identified, Residential Housing will offer an optional and voluntary roommate matching option beginning May 6. Detailed instructions will be sent to your Ohio University email account in addition to being posted on your MyHousing page.
Determine how many roommates you want. You may request up to three roommates. You will need to provide the roommate's full name. If your requested roommate has a common name (i.e. Matthew Smith), it will be helpful to have the student's OHIO ID / email address. Roommate requests must be mutual PRIOR to selecting a room to be successful in the roommate selection process.
Visit MyHousing beginning May 1st, select “New Student - Add a Roommate” and add your roommate(s) if you have not already been added, or confirm the pending roommate request of a student who has already added you as a requested roommate. By confirming the roommate(s), your roommate group should then be reflected as a "matched group." Unmatched groups must be corrected before the room selection process begins.
- Make any additions and changes to your roommate requests in advance of your room selection time. You can make additions and deletions during the scheduled time of your selection, but using this valuable time when you could be selecting your room could result in another individual selecting the room that you want.
- Only request those individuals you really want to live with. If you want to live in a double room, do not request more than one roommate. Online room selection will stop you in the selection process if your requested roommate(s) are greater than the room capacity or if they are not mutually requested.
- If you are someone's roommate and they are eligible to select at an earlier selection date and time, that student will be selecting for you. HOWEVER, it is still your responsibility to confirm that you were pulled into a room as expected. If you were not, you may select during your designated selection time.
- Students wishing to reside in a mod style facility with more than 3 roommate requests, or with roommate requests of mixed genders, will need to contact Johnna Matulja (firstname.lastname@example.org) to process their request. Please Note: wings of student rooms will still remain single-gender in mod-style facilities, with the exception of Gender Neutral Housing.
Decide Where You Want to Live
The room selection process is set up in three distinctly different lotteries (processes). There will be a "Special Lottery" for students who will be participating in a Specialized Living Community (i.e. Fine Arts Residential Learning Community, Communications Residential Learning Community, Education Learning Community, Air Force and Army ROTC, Arts & Sciences Scholars Program, and Scholarship Halls).
The "Campus Wide Selection Lottery" will begin June 3, and will be the lottery in which most first year students will select. Each student will receive a scheduled date/time during which they can select a room.
Residential Housing will also offer a "Room Change Lottery" for those students who select a room and then decide to explore other room options on campus.
1. Campus Wide Selection Lottery:
The campus wide selection lottery will be held on June 3 - June 28 and will be available only to those students who have met the application and deposit payment deadline.
Students who did not meet the May 1, 2013 application / deposit deadline will be assigned a room after July 1.
Even with the online room selection process making it faster and easier for you and your requested roommates to choose a room, there is still no guarantee that everyone will be 100% satisfied with their final selection. The 'Room Change Days' process will allow you to have a second opportunity to choose a new room option.
Room change days for first year students will take place from July 8 - August 9. During this time period, students can change rooms as many times as they like. If you do not find a room that you are interested in, keep looking! Rooms will open up throughout the duration of room change days.
Room changes for fall semester are as simple as completing the following steps:
- Log in to MyHousing
- Click on 'Room Selection' and then on 'Select a Room/Suite'
- Look through the list of available rooms
- If you find a room you would like to select, click the 'Select Room' button
- Submit and finalize your request on the 'Room Booking' page
Once you change rooms, the room you selected becomes your housing assignments and your previous room becomes available for other students to select.
Please note: Students do not have to sign up to participate in the room change process for fall semester assignments. All students will automatically be able to participate in this process and can explore alternative room options that are available. Roommate requests CAN NOT be "pulled in" during the room change process. Each person must individually select into the room if multiple space are available.
Select A Room
Be prepared on your assigned date and time to select your room. You can find your selection date and time on your MyHousing page.
Visit MyHousing to make your selection. The room selection section can be accessed by selecting the 'room selection' tab located under the navigational toolbar. Detailed instructions for selection will be found in MyHousing during the selection process.
Tips for Preparing for Room Selection
- To prevent delays or problems with your online room selection, you should know your OHIO ID and password, make sure that all roommates are mutual (all have added each other), and have reviewed all green, building and room options that you are interested in. Be realistic with room availability and have several alternative selections in mind so that you have several back up plans!
- Students can monitor spaces prior to selecting a room. Once your designated selection date/time arrives, you then be able to select a room.
- If you have a "matched roommate group," the student that has the earliest selection date/time should be the student designated to complete the room selection process for the group. All students in a matched group will be assigned into the room once the first person in the group has completed the room selection process.
- Once a room is selected, your room selection will be displayed on the "overview" page on MyHousing. Additionally, and email confirmation will be sent to your OHIO email account.
- Verify that the correct roommates are also listed on your MyHousing page to ensure that you successfully pulled all desired roommate(s) into a room with you.
A list of the mixed buildings by green that will be available during the selection process is found below:
- Biddle (substance-free), Gamertsfelder, Jefferson, Lincoln (2.5 GPA or higher), Scott Quad, Voigt, and Tiffin
- Johnson and Read (HTC / scholarship - must have a required scholarship and GPA)
- Brown, Crawford, Dougan, Hoover, Mackinnon, O'Bleness, Pickering, True (substance-free), Weld and Wray
- Boyd, Convocation Center, James, Sargent, and Wilson
Please note that the following freshman only buildings are not eligible to be selected during the Returning Student Room Selection Process:
- Perkins and Washington
- Armbruster, Atkinson, Ewing, and Fenzel
- Ryors and Truedley (quiet study)
The list of upperclass ONLY buildings that will be not be available to first year students during the selection process is as follows:
- Shively (3.0 GPA or higher and sophomore status only)
- Bryan (3.0 GPA or higher and / or graduate students)
- Adams, Martzolff, and Smith
Once You Have Made Your Selection
After you have completed your room selection, the assignment will appear on your MyHousing overview page with any requested roommate information. In addition, a confirmation email containing your hall and room assignment will be sent to your OHIO email account within one day of your room selection date. Keep this email for your records.