(STUDENTS!!! This page may be out of date.)
With input from the Graduate Student Senate, Ohio University is in the process of renegotiating its current healthcare policy. More information will be coming on this issue in May. The current plan costs roughly $1035 for every student enrolled and all domestic students and international students are grouped into the same plan. All international students are still required to use OU's student health insurance.
Here is some more information:
- Doctor visits (outside of Hudson) co-pay would be $15, then the insurance pays 100% of the rest of doctor visits. The deductible is waived.
- For laboratory, X-Rays, and physical therapy (out-patient), there is a $15 co-pay for each visit, then the insurance pays 100%. Deductible is waived. (At Hudson, the co-pay is waived, the deductible is waived, and insurance pays 100%).
- There is a $50 deductible for all other services.
- Coinsurance 100% up to $5,000, then insurance pays 80% to the out-of-pocket maximum of $5,000, then insurance pays 100% to plan maximum, which is $50,000 per accident and sickness.
- Emergency Room co-pay is $50, then the insurance takes care of 100% of the rest of costs.
- The plan maximum is $50,000 per accident and sickness.
- There is an out-of-pocket maximum of $5,000. Once an insured reaches the out-of-pocket maximum, the insurance company will pay 100% up to the $50,000 maximum.
- Prescription medicines are covered, prescription discount cards available.
- There is a vision plan included in the total cost.
The health insurance package offered by Ohio University is mandatory for international students and voluntary for domestic students. Many basic medical services are provided at low cost at the OU Hudson Health Center for current students. It is also important to know that all students at OU must have health insurance to be enrolled.
Every so often, the OU administration considers different health plans for students. Graduate Student Senate is always there ensuring that graduate students' interests are represented.
For more detailed information about health services provided by Ohio University, visit: http://www.ohiou.edu/hudson/shs_page.html.
How to Waive the Student Health Insurance Fee
Domestic students have the option of waiving the student health insurance fee if you provide the Student Health Services proof that you are covered by a different plan. To do this, just call the Student Health Services office at (740) 593-1660.
How You Can Change OU's Student Health Insurance Plan
If student groups or individual students (grad or undergrad) have any suggestions or ideas for a new health insurance plan, please let GSS know. OU is able to opt out of its current plan (either domestic or international) and bid for a new one when the plan's contract expires. If you would like to contact GSS about your ideas, please send us an email.