- Apply for department/school assistantships by indicating your interest in the departmental funding section of your admission application.
- Department/school assistantships are granted on the basis of scholarly merit.
- In addition, a list of advertised appointments is available below.
- Appointments are classified as graduate, research, and teaching assistantships (GA, RA, TA)
- Make sure to read and understand all policies before accepting an appointment: Graduate Appointment Policies
- Complete appropriate forms
Graduate, Research and Teaching Assistantships (GA, RA, TA):
Graduate Assistant, Office for Multicultural Student Access and Retention (OMSAR)
Description: Core Responsibilities for all OMSAR Graduate Assistants
• Attend weekly OMSAR staff meetings
• Conduct weekly supervisions with LINKS Peer Mentors
• Meet with scholarship students/LINKEES regarding academic performance on an as needed basis (e.g. poor APR, condition of scholarship)
• Maintain accurate and timely meeting notes on individual students
• Establish and maintain weekly/bi-weekly supervisory meetings with staff
Other Recruitment, Retention and Office-Related Responsibilities
• Recruit and interview candidates for the Templeton Scholars, Urban Scholars and Appalachian Scholars Program
• Assist in planning and executing applicant interviews
• Database Development
• Assessment Protocol Development & Coordination
• Assist in the advisement of the Ohio University Incentive Award (OUIA) and King-Chavez-Parks (KCP) scholarship recipients
• Assist in planning the LINKS Spring Semester Training for new Peer Mentors (assist in setting up/conducting interviews in Fall Semester)
• Assist in planning the LINKS Summer Pre-Matriculation Program
• Assist in supervising LINKS Peer Mentors to understand the needs of the students served by the OMSAR
• Coordination of weekly Roundtable Discussions with Faculty members and Scholars
• Track tutoring usage and survey students to assess the effectiveness of the services
• Assist with comparative studies of academic performance, scholarship retention, etc.
• Maintaining relationships with students on probation to assist them in regaining scholarship
• Ability to assist Scholars adjustment to the rigors of higher education and the campus climate
• Develop familiarity with campus and community resources
Duration: Fall and Spring Semester 2013-2014
Apply: email@example.com. Please attach resume and cover letter with relevant advising experience.
Our office address is:
Office for Multicultural Student Access and Retention (OMSAR)
31 S. Court Street, Room 196 (next to Chipotle and across from CVS)
Ohio University Athens, OH 45701
There are no additional graduate, research or teaching assistantships available through the Graduate College at this time, however, please investigate the student employment opportunities available from the Ohio University Career Site.