London Comparative Health
Applications Open - Application Deadline January 1, 2015
June 13 - 29, 2015
London, United Kingdom
Directed by Deborah Meyer, PhD, RN
This program provides participants with a unique opportunity to interact with students and faculty from the City University of London. Beginning with online modules while still in the U.S. and extending to lectures at the City University of London, students will compare and contrast the health care systems in the U.K. and U.S. Students will also participate in clinical and/or service learning in community and hospital settings in London.
College of Health Sciences and Professions Nursing and Communication Sciences Disorders students in good academic standing (GPA 3.0) with Sophomore, Junior or Senior standing are eligible.
Students will be housed at local hotels in the vicinity of the City University of London. Rooms are mostly doubles and triples.
Excursions may include medicine tour of London, Windsor Castle, the Wellcome Museum, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, Florence Nightingale Museum and the Old Operating Theater.
Courses & Credits
- HSP 2900 Special topics in Health Science (6)
- NRSE 4900: Special Topics in Nursing (6)
- STDY LON: International Study London (0)
- CSD 4900: Special Topics in CSD (6)
- Complete the on-line application. Applications will open soon and are due by January 1, 2015.
- Follow the program checklist.
- Students will be notified of their nomination to the program 2 weeks after the application deadline. Once you have been accepted to the program you will receive an e-mail indicating additional requirements for participation (also included on the program checklist).
- A non-refundable deposit of $500 will be required within 2 weeks of acceptance into the program. The deposit will be applied to the program costs and deducted from your bill.
- OHIO-participants will be sent a deposit slip with their e-mail nomination letter and will have to pay a non-refundable deposit of $500 to the Bursar’s office (Chubb Hall). Cash or check payments accepted.
- Non-OHIO Participants will be sent a deposit slip by mail and will return payment by check to the Ohio University Bursar’s Office, P.O. Box 960, Athens, OH 45701
- All fees (including a $150 administrative fee) will be posted to your Ohio University Student Account (You WILL NOT receive an invoice by mail) and be due prior to departure. Non-OHIO students must activate an OHIO e-mail address at https://www.ohio.edu/myid after completing the Non- Degree Application and receiving a PID number from Ohio University Admissions to access and pay their account.
- All fees (including the $150 administrative fee) will be posted to your Ohio University Student Account (You WILL NOT receive an invoice by mail) and be due prior to departure in Mid-May.
- OHIO Students can apply to the Office of Education Abroad Summer Travel Gran
- OHIO students in the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine & College of Health Science and Professions can apply to Global Health Travel Awards
Program in The News
Information on the UK
Health and Safety
Ohio University Office of Education Abroad suggests you follow the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control for healthy travel to your destination. Please familiarize yourself with these recommendations and requirements prior to applying to a program.
Refer to the US State Department site for information related to safety and security at this destination.
Entry and Exit Requirements
U.S. citizens are required to have a valid U.S. passport when traveling outside of the United States. If you plan to study or travel abroad in the next year, apply for your passport now.
It is each student's individual responsibility to determine the entry and exit requirements specific to their personal situation. Some countries also require a visa to legally enter and reside in the country. The following information will hold true for most US passport holders. Entry and exit requirements for this country can be found at http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html. US citizens do not need a visa to enter the country for the length of this program. Please also note that visa requirements may vary if you plan to stay in the country longer than the program dates, if you have recently visited the country, or if you plan to travel to other countries during or after the program. Please familiarize yourself with these recommendations and requirements prior to applying to a program in order to determine your appropriate course of action.
For more specific visa related information please visit OEA's Visa Information Page.
Information for NON-US citizens can be found here.
For More Information please contact:
Deborah Meyer, Ph.D, RN