Botswana Rehabilitation Services
Applications are open! Applications due February 1, 2015.
School of Rehabilitation and Communication Sciences
July 26 to August 14, 2015
Gaborone and Francistown, Botswana
Directed by Janice Howman, PT MEd and Janice Wright, MACCC-SLP
Students will have the opportunity to explore rehabilitation services in under resourced areas and co-treat with physiotherapists and speech-language pathologists/audiologists at Camphill Community Trust, PrincessMarina Hospital, Mariri Speech Therapists and Audiologists and ProgressivePhysiotherapy Clinic in Otse, Gaborone and Francistown.
As a part of their involvement students will assist faculty in the development of a workshop on rehabilitation services for health professionals and educators in Botswana.
Open to graduate students in the School of Rehabilitation and Communication Sciences. Please check the Office of Global Opportunities link to the Policy on Judicial Standing for Study Abroad Participants.
Students will be housed at self-catering locations in Gaborone and Francistown.
Students will have the opportunity to participate in day and weekend excursions to the Botswana National Museum, the local craft area, the Main Mall, the Gaborone Game Reserve and the Ladies # 1 Detective Agency Tour
Courses & Credits
- PT7930 Independent Study (4)
- CSD7930 Independent Study (4)
- Complete the online application. Applications due by February 1, 2015.
- Follow the program checklist.
- Students will be notified of their nomination to the program 2 weeks after the application deadline. Once you have been accepted to the program you will receive an e-mail indicating additional requirements for participation (also included on the program checklist).
- A non-refundable deposit of $500 will be required within 2 weeks of acceptance into the program. The deposit will be applied to the program costs and has to be paid to the Bursar office (Chubb Hall). Cash or check payments accepted. OHIO-Participants will be sent a deposit slip with their e-mailed nomination letter.
- All fees (including the $150 administrative fee) will be posted to your Ohio University Student Account (You WILL NOT receive an invoice by mail) and be due prior to departure.
- OHIO Students can apply to the Office of Global Opportunities Summer Travel Grants
- Heritage College students & CHSP Students can apply to Global Health Travel Awards
Information on Botswana
Botswana Cultural Orientation - You must use your OHIO ID and password to log into Mediasite.
Health and Safety
Ohio University Office of Global Opportunities suggests you follow the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control for healthy travel to your destination. Please familiarize yourself with these recommendations and requirements prior to applying to a program.
Refer to the US State Department site for information related to safety and security at this destination.
Entry and Exit Requirements
U.S. citizens are required to have a valid U.S. passport when traveling outside of the United States. If you plan to study or travel abroad in the next year, apply for your passport now.
It is each student's individual responsibility to determine the entry and exit requirements specific to their personal situation. Some countries also require a visa to legally enter and reside in the country. The following information will hold true for most US passport holders. Entry and exit requirements for this country can be found at http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html. US citizens may need
a visa or other special documents to enter the country for the length of this program. Please also note that visa requirements may vary if you plan to stay in the country longer than the program dates, if you have recently visited the country, or if you plan to travel to other countries during or after the program. Please familiarize yourself with these recommendations and requirements prior to applying to a program in order to determine your appropriate course of action.
For more specific visa related information please visit OGO's Visa Information Page.
Information for NON-US citizens can be found here.
For more information, contact: