- Accessible Information Exchange
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Policy 03.003: Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance
- Coordinator Responsibilities and Duties
- Discrimination/Harassment Form
- "Employers Guide to including Disabilities in Emergency Evacuation Plans"
- Faculty Handbook (Student Accessibility Services)
- Rehabilitation Act 504
- Student Accessibility Services
- Web Accessibility Statement
- Affirmative Action
Discrimination / Harassment
- Confidential Resources
- Equal Employment and Educational Opportunity Policy (40.001)
- How to File a Complaint
- The Investigative Process (under Policy 03.004)
- Notice of Non-Discrimination
- Sexual Misconduct Policy (03.004)
- Whistle-Blowing and Retaliation Policy (03.006)
- Workplace Violence Policy (41.135)
- Employee Accommodation and Campus Accessibility
- Hiring Information
- Institutional Equity 2012 Overview
- Ohio University Resources
- Outside Resources
- Presidential Advisory Council on Disability and Accessibility Planning
- Student Sexual Misconduct
- Title IX
- Contact Us
Affirmative Action Policy
It is the policy of Ohio University that there shall be no discrimination against any individual in educational or employment opportunities because of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, or military veteran status. There also shall be no discrimination because of age except in compliance with requirements of retirement plans or state and federal laws and guidelines. Discrimination on the basis of age or sex or disability will be prohibited except where specific age, sex, or physical requirements constitute a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ) necessary to proper and efficient performance. The University maintains a vigorous affirmative action program in order to promote equal employment opportunities and to ensure non-discrimination in all educational programs and activities. All programs which implement this policy will be reviewed on an annual basis.
Ohio University accepts the important distinction between affirmative action and equal opportunity. Equal opportunity assumes that the concept of merit based solely upon a person’s perceived ability to perform job duties will exclusively govern all personnel decisions. Ohio University is committed to affirmative action which requires specific efforts to recruit, employ, and promote members of groups previously excluded by consideration of additional factors deemed to be relevant and important.* The assertion of this distinction gives impetus to the institution’s renewed search for approaches and programs designed to attain our goals and objectives. This is being done in recognition that benign neutrality in employment practices tends to perpetuate the status quo.
The realization of affirmative action objectives will increase the heterogeneity of the University community and generate knowledge of the values and cultures of people of the world. This will add a new dimension to the cross-cultural educational mission of the University. We are committed to cultural pluralism in the belief that this is beneficial to all people and essential in strengthening the fabric of society. This commitment demands that we provide opportunities and access for people who have been denied educational justice.
The responsibility of overseeing the University’s compliance with affirmative action requirements has been delegated by the President of the University to the Director for Institutional Equity. Every member of the University community, however, is charged with the responsibility for its realization.
Any questions or comments regarding this policy should be communicated to:
Laura Myers, J.D., M.A., C.A.A.P.
Office for Institutional Equity
101 Crewson House
1 Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
Roderick J. McDavis, President
October 31, 2008
Office for Institutional Equity | 101 Crewson House | Athens, Ohio 45701-2979 | T: 740.593.9132