- Academic Programs
- Office of the Dean
- Office of Student Affairs
- Office of Clinical Experiences
- Office of Assessment and Academic Improvement
- Office of Communication & Design
- Centers and Partnerships
- Faculty and Staff
- Alumni and Development
- News and Events
Advanced Teacher Capacity offers professional development in mathematics, statistics, and modeling for mathematics teachers in Grades 9-12 to prepare them for four years of high school mathematics for all students. This initiative is supported by a grant from the Improving Teacher Quality Program administered by the Ohio Board of Regents.
Afterschool ATC Workshop Sessions are offered on the following Wednesdays:
- QUANT: 22 October, 19 November, 10 December 2014, and 21 January 2015
- Modspar: 25 February, 18 March, 8 April, and 6 May 2015
The sessions will take place from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. at the Athens-Meigs Educational Service Center, 21 Birge Drive in Chauncey. For more information and a downloadable flier, click here. To register online for the sessions, click here. To pay the registration fee online, click here. Payment by check is accepted by mail and at the workshop site. See the flier below for details.
ATC Online Webinars are open to all past, present, and future ATC scholars
The webinar room will open at 3:40 p.m. Please sign in early as a guest to test your equipment so that we may begin the webinar promptly at 4:00 p.m. To participate, go to https://adobeconnect.oit.ohio.edu/foley/ .
- 14 January 2015, 4:00-4:50 p.m., The Probabilities Involved with Medical Testing, led by Kevin Dael
- 28 January 2015, 4:00-4:50 p.m., The Birthday Problem, led by John Ashurst and Rachael Gorsuch
Archived ATC Webinars:
- The Shape of a Distribution of Sample Means (3 December 2014), led by Steve Phelps, Kevin Dael, and Mike Houston
ATC Summer Institutes
If funded by the Improving Teacher Quality Program, the ATC project will offer two programs in summer 2015:
- QUANT Summer Institute (SAVE THE DATES: 14-19 June and 3-4 August 2015)
- QUANT Summer 2015 application
- Modspar Summer Institute (SAVE THE DATES: 12-17 July and 3-4 August 2015)
- Modspar Summer 2015 application
Here's what past ATC scholars have said:
- "I enjoyed becoming more comfortable with the technology."
- "The institutes were content-rich."
- "Absolutely excellent."
- "The BEST professional development available to high school (mathematics) teachers. The BEST model with follow-up."
- "[Now]...I help my students to be critical thinkers by asking questions that are of high cognitive demand. I also engage my students in team work and collaborative activities to help them develop their communicating skills. In addition, I incorporate technology in my teaching so students can have multiple representations of ...concepts."
For more information about ATC, contact Mary Harmison.
The total estimated costs for the 2014-2015 ATC project are $294,411, which includes a $168,043 grant of federal funds from the Improving Teacher Quality Program administered by the Ohio Board of Regents, covering approximately 57.1% of the total costs.