- Academic Programs
- Office of the Dean
- Student Affairs and Admissions
- Office of Clinical Experiences
- Office of Assessment and Academic Improvement
- Office of Communications and Marketing
- Centers and Partnerships
- Faculty and Staff
- Alumni and Development
- News and Events
How to Apply
To apply for an Ohio license:
- Complete a License Education program approved by the Ohio Department of Education.
- Submit both a BCI and a FBI background check to the Ohio Department of Education. Applicants are required to make a set of fingerprint impressions and have them sent to the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCI).The reports should be sent directly to the Ohio Department of Education electronically. (Code number 4UR619) Indicate that the reason for the fingerprinting is "licensure/certification."
It is not necessary to send copies of background checks to Ohio University with your licensure submission.
For a community listing of places that process background checks, go to:http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Services/Business/WebCheck/Webcheck-Community-Listing (be sure the location you choose processes both BCI and FBI background checks).
- Submit passing scores on all required tests to Ohio University, Praxis II and ACTFL.
- Complete an application for licensure. The application may be downloaded from the Ohio Department of Education website.
- Submit the completed application with a check or money order for the appropriate fee to Janet Merwin, Ohio University, The Patton College of Education, Office of Student Affairs, McCracken Hall, Athens, OH 45701. Checks or money orders should be made out to Treasurer, State of Ohio.
- If OU recommends you for licensure, Janet Merwin will forward the application to the Ohio Department of Education, Office of Educator Licensure with the check or money order.
Note: Licensure applications cannot be sent to the Ohio Department of Education until the candidate has officially graduated from Ohio University. Graduation is not official until all financial "holds" are removed from a student’s record.The Patton College of Education must also have proof of the passing of required Praxis exams before the application can be forwarded to the Ohio Department of Education. (See the licensing brochure for details) The Ohio Department of Education usually needs another 2-3 weeks for processing.
Applicants may check the status of their application at the Ohio Department of Education on the department's website: