Rules of the Garden
Ecohouse Community Garden Guidelines
- Each gardener is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their garden plot. Watering, weeding, harvesting and any other garden related maintenance are all the responsibility of the gardener. Gardeners may arrange for other gardeners to water their plots.
The Ecohouse Community Garden will utilize organic principles.
- Gardeners will not use synthetic fertilizers, insecticides or weed repellents.
- If a gardener must abandon a plot for any reason, he/she will notify the Garden Coordinator immediately.
- If a plot becomes unkempt, the gardener associated with that plot will be given 2 weeks' notice to clean it up. At that time, if no action has been taken, the plot will be re-assigned or tilled in.
- Gardeners will keep weeds at a minimum and maintain the areas immediately surrounding their plot(s), if any.
- Gardeners will keep trash and litter out of the plot, as well as from adjacent pathways and fences.
- Gardeners will clean and return borrowed tools to the storage area when done. If any are damaged, the gardener will notify the Garden Coordinator.
- The OHIO Ecohouse is a student residence and, as such, gardeners agree to respect the space and privacy of those living in the house. Therefore, gardeners will use the compost bin and rain barrel that belong to the garden, not the personal ones of the household. If a gardener needs a restroom while gardening, they are asked to use the public one provided at Southside Park.
- Gardeners may only garden during daylight (dawn to dusk). Being on the Ecohouse property outside of daylight hours is considered trespassing.
- Gardeners are required to attend at least one of the Community Garden workshops/workdays. There are no other costs associated with adopting a plot.
- Neither the garden group nor owners of the land are responsible for gardeners' actions. Gardeners must therefore agree to hold harmless the garden group and owners of the land for any liability, damage, loss or claim that occurs in connection with use of the garden by the gardeners or any of their guests.