Documentation and Eligibility

In order to determine your eligibility and provide accommodations, SAS will need documentation.  The type of documentation required may depend upon the type of disability and the specific accommodations a student would like to request.

To be eligible for disability services, a student must:

  • submit disability documentation (as described below);

  • receive notification from a Accessibility Coordinator that you are eligible;

  • schedule and attend an intake appointment with your assigned Accessibility Coordinator

Accessibility Coordinators review documentation and determine eligibility according to the framework of the American's with Disabilities Act Amendment Act and in accordance with the professional standards of the Association of Higher Education and Disability. There is no "exact formula" of how to document or determine a disability; however here are the things we look for in documentation:

  • there is a chronic physical or mental condition that has been diagnosed

  • evidence that the condition significantly impacts one or more Major Life Activity (such as seeing, learning, standing, etc.)

  • provided by a medical, mental health, or educational professional qualified to diagnose, evaluate, and treat the condition

  • demonstrates a history of accommodation OR impact on current functioning

Preferred Documentation

You may always contact a Accessibility Coordinator at any time with questions about how to best locate the type of information we need to evaluate your eligibility and provide effective accommodations. 

Since SAS is interested in how your condition may impact you, we have provided some preferred guidelines and forms that you may share with your medical professional in order to help them provide the information we need. 

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD):  Current and comprehensive documentation which states a DSM diagnosis, symptoms and functional limitations, instruments and procedures used to make the diagnosis and recommendations for accommodations within an academic environment.  ADD/ADHD may be documented by recent, thorough neuropsychological testing or a psychiatrist/counselor/psychologist may complete the "Verification of ADHD or Psychological Disability" form.

Blindness/Visual Impairment:  Best provided by a current ophthalmologist or optometrist who is managing your medical care. Documentation should describe the limitations of your vision as well as specific recommendations for adaptive equipment (magnification devices, Text-to-Speech computer software, special lighting, etc.) that may best assist in the academic environment.  We suggest you use the "Verification of Visual Impairment" form.

Deaf or Hard of Hearing:  Recent information regarding the nature and degree of hearing loss and its impact on individual and group communication is desired. Documentation provided by an audiologist or specialist is desirable, particularly recommendations regarding recommended assistive listening devices and assistive technology.  The "Verification of Hearing Impairment" form.

Physical Disabilities and Chronic Medical Conditions:  Documentation regarding diagnosis, prognosis, and impact on functioning including potential side effects from treatments is preferred.  We provide a "Verification of Physical Disabilities and Chronic Medical Conditions" form to guide your family physician or specialist through the information we need.

Psychological Conditions:  Documentation must be provided by a licensed professional qualified to determine a DSM diagnosis, symptoms, functional limitations, projected duration, medications, and side effects, and recommendations for accommodations within an academic setting.  Impact may be demonstrated through thorough psychological diagnostic testing, or through our Verification of ADHD/Psychological Disability form.

Learning Disability:  The preferred method of documenting a learning disability is through current, comprehensive, adult-normed psycho-educational test battery with a statement of diagnosis, functional limitations resulting from the disability, and type of learning disability.  If you received services in high school, this is often contained in the Multi-Factored Evaluation (MFE).  IEP's, Section 504 Plans, or a Summary of Performance from your high school may or may not provide sufficient information.  If your documentation does not meet the preferred standards, please consider sending a completed "Supplemental Statement" form.