Is there a separate admissions procedure for students with disabilities?

No, the admissions process and criteria are the same for all students applying to Ohio University. The Admissions counselors will review all applications without regard to disability status.

Does Ohio University provide services for students with disabilities?

Yes, accommodations and services are provided for students with documented disabilities to provide equal access to educational programs and services in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (1990) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Accommodations (e.g. testing accommodations) are determined on an individual basis using disability documentation and in consultation with the student.

When and where should I send my documentation?

Once you have been admitted to Ohio University, any student who chooses to register with Student Accessibility Services should send their documentation directly to:

   Student Accessibility Services
    348 Baker Center
    1 Ohio University
    Athens, Ohio 45701

Information may also be faxed directly to SAS at: 740-593-0790

What documentation is required to receive accommodations through Student Accessibility Services?

Since different laws apply in college, eligibility guidelines may differ from your high school. An Individualized Education Plan or 504 Plan alone is generally not sufficient documentation. SAS will require documentation from a qualified healthcare practitioner, depending upon the nature of the disability the guidelines are different. Please refer to the Documentation Guidelines section of our website.

What happens after my disability documentation has been submitted?

Once documentation has been received by SAS, your assigned advisor will review the documentation to determine your eligibility. After it has been reviewed, you will receive a letter in the mail informing you whether or not your documentation has been approved. If your documentation is approved, you can call SAS to schedule a time to meet with your advisor to complete your registration.

Are tutoring services available?

Students registered with Student Accessibility Services are eligible for four hours of free peer tutoring per course/per week from the Academic Advancement Center (when available). Writing tutors are available at no cost for all students in the Writing Center in the Alden Library. Supplemental Instruction is group tutoring provided for many high-risk classes.

Is there a fee for Student Accessibility Services?

No, the provision of reasonable accommodations is provided at no additional cost to the student.

What kind of services will I be eligible for?

Accommodations frequently used by students with disabilities are priority registration, extended time for test taking, a quiet location for test taking, materials in alternate formats, housing accommodations, and assistive listening devices. Appropriate reasonable accommodations are determined on an individual basis using disability documentation.

Is there financial aid or scholarships specifically for disabled students?

 Financial aid can be either need-based or non-need-based. The results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) along with the cost-of-education will determine whether or not a student has financial need. While Ohio University does not offer any financial assistance based specifically on disability status please visit the scholarship section of our website for a listing of external scholarships.
The Rehabilitation Services Commission (RSC) is a state agency that provides financial and advocacy support for persons with disabilities for the purpose of gaining full employment. For information about your local RSC office, call 1-800-282-4536 voice/TTY.

What other services are available for students with disabilities?

Many academic and support services are available on campus. Students registered with SAS can receive up to four hours of tutoring per class each week free of charge. Please visit the Campus Resources section for additional information.

What do I do if I have disabilities that affect my housing accommodations?

Students with specific housing needs may contact the Housing and Residential Life Office directly to inquire about the availability of housing accommodations. Housing and Residential Life staff may consult with SAS to determine the necessity of a requested accommodation. If reasonable and related to a disability, housing accommodations may be recommended.

Where is your office located?

Student Accessibility Services is located in Baker Center office #348.

Do I have to disclose my disability?

It is the right of each individual student whether or not to disclose their disability and request accommodations. Should you choose to register with Student Accessibility Services your information remains confidential and you are able to decide who to inform of your recommended accommodations. It may be helpful to think about this prior to beginning classes and you are always welcome to meet with a representative in SAS to discuss your options or ask questions.