Research is a key component of the fellowship program. The Diabetes Fellows are expected to initiate an original research project related to the basic or clinical science of diabetes care management, and up to one day a week is dedicated to said research. Innovative and ground-breaking research projects are ongoing in numerous areas related to diabetes at the college and throughout other areas of the university. A list of publications co-authored by our fellows:
- Healy A, Gerome J, Schwartz F. Progesterone Metabolism in Women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
- Healy, A, Ribacare, D, Benseler, J & Shubrook, JH. Disseminated Histoplasmosis in and 11 year old with type 1 diabetes. Pediatric On Call, 11(1), 23-24.
- Bindlish, S, Presswalla, L, & Schwartz, F. Lipodystrophy: A Syndrome of Insulin Resistance. Post Grad Medicine. In Press.
- Bindlish, S, & Shubrook, J. Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Diabetes. Osteopathic Family Physician, In Press.
- Shubrook JH, O'Shaughnessey C. Hypoglycemia. Primary Care Reports. 2012;18(5):49-64.
- O'Shaughnessey, C. Safety and effects of exercise in older adults with Type 2 diabetes. AOA Health Watch, 2011; 14, 6 (3): 8-14.
- Colucci R. Bariatric surgery in patients with type 2 diabetes: A viable option. Postgraduate Medicine. 2011;123 (1):1-10. PMID: 21293081
- Shubrook JH, Colucci RA, Guo A, Schwartz, FL. Saxagliptin: A selective DPP-4 inhibitor for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Clinical Medicine Insights: Endocrinology and Diabetes. 2011; (4) 1-12.
- Wapner A, Bianco J, Long M, Kushnick M, Brannan G, Shubrook J. TAKE ACTION: A multidisciplinary lifestyle intervention for families in a rural community. Childhood Obesity. 2010; 6(5): 275-281.
- Schwartz FL, Denham S, Heh V, Wapner A, Shubrook J. Experiences of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes in school: Survey of children, parents, and schools. Diabetes Spectrum. 2010; 23(1): 47-55.
- Jacobs B, Phan K, Bertheau L, Dogbey G, Schwartz F, Shubrook J. Continuous glucose monitoring system in a rural intensive care unit: A pilot study evaluating accuracy and acceptance. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2010 May 1; 4(3): 636-644. PMCID: PMC2901041.
- Petznick A, Shubrook JH. Prevention and treatment of diabetes-related cardiovascular complications. Primary Care Reports. 2010,16 (4):1-11.
- Petznick AM, Shubrook JH. Treatment of specific macrovascular beds in patients with diabetes mellitus. Osteopath Med Prim Care. 2010 Aug 11; 4: 5. PMCID: PMC2925360.
- Colucci RA, Silver MJ, Shubrook J. Common types of supraventricular tachycardia: Diagnosis and management. Am Fam Physician. 2010 Oct 15; 82(8): 942-952.