A Guide to Assist Residence Life Staff in Making Referrals and Requesting Services
The Counselor-in-Residence (CR) Program places professionally supervised mental health clinicians directly into residence halls to address the mental health concerns of residents and Residence Life staff. CRs are doctoral students in Clinical Psychology or Counselor Education programs who have a Masters degree and have completed at two years of supervised clinical training.
The objective of the CR program is to support the academic and personal growth of students through the provision of on-site and easily accessed consultation and mental-health support services. Services include:
- Preventative & Psycho-educational Programming
- Supporting the counselor-on-call during emergency and crisis situations
- Follow-up services to residents and staff following crisis situations
- Consultation with Residential Life staff on mental-health issues
- Brief counseling with residents and Residence Life staff, including:
- Weekly “drop-in” hours
- Appointments with self-referred and staff-referred students
- “House-call” visits with students following staff referral
- Group or individual follow-up sessions following disturbances in the residential community
How to contact the Counselors-In-Residence (CR) beginning Fall 2013
122 Jefferson Hall (on the East Green)
Office adjacent to Jeff Library
Let's Talk Hours:
Sunday to Friday
5 pm to 10 pm
Please note that the last Let's Talk of the fall semester will be Wednesday, December 12, 2013 and will resume for the spring semester on Monday, January 13, 2014
Adjacent to the library in Jefferson Hall (Rm #122)
(Only for non-emergency purposes)
Counselors-In-Residence email contact:
Please do not use email to communicate confidential information
Alex Reed, M.Ed., PC/CR, NCC, CRC
Gerard Grigsby, M.Ed., PC-CR
Bilge Sulak, M.Ed.
The office phone should be used only for non-emergency purposes (such as to request an outreach). A CR will NOT be able to respond to you immediately if you were to leave a message on the answering machine.
If you need to speak with a CR outside of their office hours, please contact your RA or RD. They would help you locate a CR or a staff member from CPS.
In an emergency situation, call 911 for emergency assistance.
For more information about CR program or if you are a doctoral student in a psychology, counseling or related field and interested in becoming a counselor-in-resident, please contact:
Paul Castelino, Ph.D.
Counseling and Psychological Services