Ten reasons why OHIO employees should use the CUE
Nov 21, 2013
From staff reports
Are you looking to get the word out about activities and events within your college or department? You're not alone. Many Ohio University faculty and staff members are trying to advertise or publicize upcoming events. The Calendar of University Events (CUE) is a great free tool to help departments and groups do just that.
The CUE soon will undergo a makeover to enhance the user experience and usefulness of the tool. But even before the transformation takes place, University community members are encouraged to post events on the CUE. Tasha Attaway, communications specialist with University Communications and Marketing and the calendar upgrade project leader, says this is an exciting opportunity for growth and to show the potential for the CUE.
Here's why you should take advantage of this tool:
- It's easy. Anyone with a valid OHIO ID can go to http://www.ohio.edu/calendar/submit/ and simply type in your OHIO ID and password to log in. Once you're done filling out the resulting form (pop-ups must be enabled on your browser), click submit and your OHIO event will appear on the calendar. In the unlikely event that your event is rejected because it does not adhere to the calendar guidelines, you will receive an email. The form also allows you to post recurring events so you don't have to submit multiple requests for a multi-day event. Should your event information change, it's easy to fix because the person who submitted the event is able to edit the calendar entry at any time by logging in and clicking "Edit events." If you need your event or edit to appear immediately, just email firstname.lastname@example.org and let Attaway know.
- It promotes your department or organization. Are you looking to spotlight the hard work of your department? By putting events and activities on the Calendar of University Events, you can reach more people with the information you submit to the calendar. With the growing use of the CUE comes an increase in the amount of exposure your event will have to people all over campus.
- It helps recruitment and retention efforts. This University has an organization for everyone that can impact your life. As a central location for event information, the CUE makes it easy for academic and administrative staff to point to one resource to help prospective and current students see that they really can find their niche at Ohio University.
- Meetings and events can be added by any member. You don't need to be the chair or secretary of your department to post an event. The CUE can be used as a great tool to get a group started. As long as you are a member of the University community, you are free to submit as many OHIO events as you desire. Submissions will be moderated to make sure they follow a simple set of guidelines.
- It makes event info easy to find. With all of the University events in one calendar, it will make it easy to find any event you're looking for all in one place. Your event submission can include as much or as little detail about the event as you choose to include, but always list an informed contact person who can answer questions about the event.
- It makes it easier to plan around other events. If you worry about the venues that are being used at particular times or don't want your event to interfere with another, the CUE is a great place to see what's happening so you can schedule around other major events taking place on campus.
- It helps with publicity. The Calendar of University Events will not only post your event, they can also help promote it! They have multiple social media outlets including their Twitter account, @OHIO_CUE, as well as the main University Facebook page and Twitter account, @ohiou, to help get the word out in the days leading up to your event. They also work directly with Compass, the University's news source, which can help promote events by writing articles that are sent to the entire University community.
- Activities for all interests and ages. The University serves as the setting for a wide variety of activities and events that appeal to all ages and interest groups. No matter your age, research field, background, or hobby, there will always be something for you to do. The more events that are submitted to the CUE, the easier it will be for you to stay up to date on the current happenings at OHIO.
- It demonstrates OHIO's diversity. Ohio University is known for its unique atmosphere and cultural diversity. The event calendar can help you learn about many different organizations that interest you or that support your beliefs.
- It benefits the University community. The CUE has featured many community service events. Departments, offices and organizations can use the calendar to promote events that benefit their colleagues, co-workers or campus. Whether it be cleaning up after a big event, a fundraiser held on campus or volunteering to help one another, anyone can make a difference and the CUE can help you have easy access to community service opportunities.