Moms Weekend starts April 29
Events will create lasting memories
Apr 22, 2011
By Brooke Carpenter
The arrival of spring means one thing for Ohio University moms -- anticipation of Moms Weekend.
Known as one of the most popular family events of the school year, Moms Weekend kicks off Friday, April 29.
OHIO senior Christine Friscic, a public relations major and Spanish minor, is looking forward to celebrating her fourth and final Moms Weekend with her mom.
"My mom graduated from Ohio University, so it means a lot to both of us to spend time on campus together. We share some of our best memories from Moms Weekend, visiting all of the places that both of us like to go to in Athens and going out together," Friscic said. "There is always so much to do during Moms Weekend and it always will be one of my favorite weekends at OU."
Here is a look at this year's Moms Weekend events:
- The School of Art Ceramics Department will host a Spring Pottery Sale on College Green on Friday. It will takes place 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and will feature unique, handmade works. Visit finearts.ohio.edu/artsforohio for more information.
- The OHIO Baseball team will host a three- game series against Kent State at Bob Wren Stadium. For individual game times and information, visit www.ohiobobcats.com.
- Join in on a Moms Weekend tradition Friday evening from 9 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. at the "Bahama Bring-Your-Mama Bash" Head down in Boyd Dining Hall on West Green. It will feature bingo, games, crafts, a DJ, prizes, food and drinks and is free and open to all students and parents.
- Come enjoy a night of traditional and contemporary African music, drumming and dance on Friday at the AZA!! Mother Africa Concert at 7:30 p.m. in the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. For more information, call the ticket office at 740-593-1780 or visit finearts.ohio.edu.
- On Saturday, the Black Student Cultural Programming Board will host the annual Moms Weekend Expo, noon to 3 p.m., on the Baker University Center second floor. It will consist of massages, arts and crafts, line dancing and light refreshments.
- On Saturday, join the Ping Recreation Center staff for a two-hour Zumbathon! workshop. Learn the latest Latino dance moves with your mom from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $5 with a student ID, $13 for all other participants.
- Get a taste of local Athens boutique fashion at The SWEET Life on Saturday. The annual Moms Weekend Fashion Show, which is hosted by the OHIO Fashion Associates, features raffle prizes at noon and a runway show at 1 p.m. This free event will be held at the Baker University Center Ballroom.
- Enjoy the beautiful spring weather with a round of golf at the Moms Weekend Golf Outing, which is sponsored by the men of Pi Kappa Alpha - Omnicron Chapter. There will be prizes, raffles, catered food from Kiser's BBQ Shack, and more. Registration is $70 per golf pair, with all proceeds benefiting "My Sisters Place," a local organization which supports victims of domestic violence. The event begins at 3 p.m. at the Ohio University Golf Course and is limited to the first 30 teams.
- Help the Ohio University Program Council raise $11,000 for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation by participating in the 11th Annual Moms Walk for a Cure 5K. Raffles and a silent auction will be held after the event. The registration fee is $15 per person and includes a Moms Walk T-shirt. For registration information, visit ohio.edu/orgs/upc.
- The annual Moms Weekend Choral Concert will feature the Singing Men of Ohio, Section 8, Womens' Chorale, Title IX and the University Singers. The free show begins at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.
- Experience the Challenge Course's 300-foot zip line with your mom at Saturday's Outdoor Pursuits Moms Weekend Zip Line event in The Ridges. The event will take place from 1 to 5 p.m. and costs $20, which includes an hourly shuttle, equipment and lessons. To register or for more information, visit ohio.edu/recreation/outdoorpursuits.
- Face off against teams of other moms and students at the second Annual "Take the Cake" Cake Decorating Contest. After a tutorial from cake decorator and Ohio University alumna, Amanda Ellis, each team will compete for the title of best cake decorators. The registration fee is $10 per team and includes a cake and all of the decoration supplies needed. The event is on Saturday from 2 to 3:30 p.m. or 4 to 5:30 p.m. in the Baker University Center Multipurpose Room.
- Following the Moms Walk for a Cure on Saturday, support the American Cancer Society at the annual Moms Market and Luncheon. Registration for the luncheon is $10 per person or $18 per couple and includes food and drinks. Following the luncheon, the Moms Market will open free of cost to students and moms and will showcase jewelry, bags, pottery and more from local venders and OHIO Moms. The event begins at 11:30 a.m. at the Ping Recreation Center.
For a complete listing of Moms Weekend events, click here.