College Green Magazine Screening "Trashed" Documentary For Earth Month
This event is FREE and open to the public! Free refreshments will also be served during the screening.
In celebration of Earth Month, join College Green Magazine at the Athena Cinema on Court Street to watch "Trashed," an environmental documentary.
Following the screening will be an interactive discussion panel concerning local waste issues featuring:
- Roger Bail, Operations Coordinator for the Athens-Hocking Solid Waste District
- Kyle O'Keefe, head of Rural Action's Zero-Waste Initiative
- Andrew Ladd, Ohio University's Recycling and Refuse Manager
- Dr. Geoff Buckley, a Professor in the Department of Geography
- Dr. Michele Morrone, Associate Professor of Environmental Health Science
About the film:
"Trashed looks at the risks to the food chain and the environment through pollution of our air, land and sea by waste. The film reveals surprising truths about very immediate and potent dangers to our health. it is a global conversation from Iceland to Indonesia between the film star Jeremy Irons and scientists, politicians and ordinary individuals whose health and livelihoods have been fundamentally affected by waste pollution. Visually and emotionally the film is both horrific and beautiful: an interplay of human interest and political wake-up call. But it ends on a message of hope: showing how the risks to our survival can easily be averted through sustainable approaches that provide far more employment than the current 'waste industry'."
Published: Apr 11, 2013