Choose Ohio First (COFN)
COFN application period for Fall 2014 has concluded. Please stay tuned to this webpage for further updates.
The application review process is still underway. It is anticipated to be completed by mid-August.
Promoting STEM Education
The Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program is designed to significantly strengthen Ohio's competitiveness within STEM disciplines (science, technology, engineering, math, medicine) through STEM education. Choose Ohio First provides scholarships to students in innovative academic programs developed by Ohio's colleges and universities and their business partners to recruit and retain more students in STEM field majors.
ChooseOhio First funds higher education and business collaborations that will have the most impact on Ohio’s position in world markets such as aerospace, medicine, computer technology and alternative energy. These collaborations will ultimately produce substantive improvements to the pipeline of STEM graduates and STEM educators in Ohio. Choose Ohio First is a part of a strategic effort to bolster Ohio’s economic strength by ensuring a ready workforce for STEM-related industries such as nursing.
Information for COFN Applicants
In order to be eligible to apply for the COFN scholarship for the 2014-2015 academic year you must meet the following requirements:
- Be an Ohio resident
- Be accepted into an Ohio University nursing program
- Be actively enrolled in Ohio University nursing courses for Fall Semester 2014
- Not currently receiving the Ohio University NEARS scholarship
Additional commitments required for awarded scholars include the following:
- Commit to attend New Scholar orientation virtually or on the Athens campus.
- Commit to attend the annual Evidence-Based Practice Seminar held during spring semester on the Ohio University Athens campus. This is a one-day event.
- Participate in a community of practice, committing to frequent communication with your academic advisor and peer mentoring.
Please consider the requirements above carefully before applying to the COFN Scholarship.
The COFN Scholarship awards recipients up to 50 percent of the instructional fee portion of tuition, contingent upon funding from the Ohio Board of Regents and the scholar’s ability to meet and fulfill requirements.
Please call 740-593-4494 or email COFN@ohio.edu with any questions.