The College of Health Sciences and Professions (CHSP) uses a Web-based system called Class Climate that enables students to evaluate its courses during fall, spring and summer semesters. This mostly automated process uses data from the Ohio University Registrar's Office. on courses, instructors and students. Survey response rates typically average about 60 percent and the system is administrated by the CHSP communication director. Some other Ohio University campus units also use Class Climate, including the Russ College of Engineering and the College of Arts and Sciences.
During the 10-day evaluation process, students are emailed a short online survey for each CHSP course they are enrolled in. The surveys are sent to the student's Ohio University email address during the final week of the semester, and recipients are are given until the first day of finals week to take them. Students receive a reminder every three days until they complete all their surveys. All responses to the survey are anonymous.
Courses with fewer than four students are not evaluated, nor are arranged courses, independent studies, internships, practica or field experiences.
Each survey contains the 15 questions below, with the acceptable answers as follows::
1. Hardly Ever
5. Almost Always
Student engagement/learning outcomes
- I took an active part in class discussions and related activities.
- I applied course material to improve thinking, problem solving, decision-making, and learning.
- I came to class prepared.
- I believe grades/feedback received on assignments/exams accurately reflect my performance.
- Irrespective of my grade, I have learned significantly from this course.
- The instructor had a well-developed plan for each session.
- The instructor demonstrated the importance and significance of the subject matter.
- The instructor presented the course material clearly and concisely.
- The instructor displayed concern for students and their learning.
- I would recommend this instructor to other students.
- Assignments were related to the course goals/objectives/outcomes.
- The instructor clearly stated course requirements and deadlines and revised as necessary.
- The instructor provided timely feedback on assignments/exams to help students improve.
- The instructor maintained an environment conducive to learning.
- The instructor used appropriate resources to promote learning.
Each instructor is emailed PDF documents containing evaluation results for each of his or her courses. Individual results are also provided to school/department offices on a DVD. Results for each semester are distributed after final grades are posted, usually within a few weeks after the end of the semester. Summary evaluation data for each school/department and the entire college are available below so that individual instructors may compare their results with those averages.
NOTE: Downloading these documents requires the instructor's Ohio University OAK ID.
2013 Spring CHSP Summary