Food Science Lab
Grover Center W213
About the Facility
The Food Science Laboratory is equipped to perform chemical and physical analysis of foods such as proximate analysis (moisture, lipid, protein, ash), oxidative stability, antioxidant capacity, texture analysis, rheology, color, pH, and water activity.
- Proximate Analysis: Total lipid, moisture, soluble protein, ash.
- Oxidative Stability: Thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS).
- Conjugated dienes, Lipid hydroperoxides, Reactive sulfhydryls, Nitrite/Nitrate (Griess), Glutathione
- Antioxidant Capacity: Total phenolic compounds, total flavonoids, Ferric Reducing Antioxidant Power (FRAP), DPPH radical scavenging, Pyrogallol red oxidation.
- Texture Analysis: hardness, texture profile analysis, etc. using Texture Analyzer
- Color: CIE L*, a*, b*
- Other physical measurements: pH, water activity, viscosity (Brookfield)