About the program
The Honors Program provides opportunities for involvement in independent scholarly work, one-on-one interaction with faculty, and an in-depth study of one area of applied health sciences and wellness. Throughout the Honors Program, students work under the guidance of a faculty honors adviser to plan and complete scholarly projects. Students complete an honors course sequence (NUTR 4902H, 4945H, 4946H, and 4947H – only one of these courses has a specific meeting time, the rest are in an independent study format) and a Research Methods course during which a project is designed, executed, and reported in writing. Projects may be research, development of educational materials, in-depth papers, or other original works approved by the honors adviser. Those students who successfully complete their honors projects receive special designation on their diplomas.Program advantages
Students have several advantages as a result of being eligible for and participating in the Honors Program. Each student will:
- Gain experience in critically exploring an area of academic interest under the direct guidance of an experienced scholar.
- Be better prepared for further graduate or professional study in specific academic fields and post graduate work in general.
- Ability to take graduate level classes with permission.
- Graduate with special distinction.
- Must be a declared major in the School of Applied Health Sciences and Wellness.
- Cumulative overall grade point average (GPA) that is no lower than a 3.3 in order to begin the Departmental Honors process.
- Completion of 60 semester-equivalent credit hours prior to the beginning of the fall semester for which they apply.
- Students must have at least one academic year of study remaining at the time of application to the program.
- Students are required to identify and receive approval from an Honors Advisor prior to entrance into the program.
- Students must be willing to devote the time and energy needed for a more demanding and challenging curriculum.
- Make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements listed above.
- Meet with faculty in our school to see what types of honors projects they may be willing to oversee.
- Fill out and submit the honors application by the first Friday of December.