Summer Watershed Camp hosts nearly 40 area youth
Taylor K. Smith Oct 1, 2014
Article originally published in Ohio University Compass
Sep 29, 2014
Taylor K. Smith Sep 29, 2014
Baker Center Front Room
Wed, Oct 22 5:00 PM
Ohio Department of Agriculture Building, Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Sponsored by the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) & co-hosted by U.S. Senator George Voinovich, the Ohio Governor's Office of Appalachia (GOA), the Ohio Governor's Energy Advisor, and the Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs.
The Appalachian Ohio Energy Economic Development Summit brought together over 100 professionals involved with economic development in the 29-county Appalachian Ohio region to talk about utilizing energy as a tool for economic growth.
Energy has traditionally played an important role in the economy of this region. Advanced energy technologies and policies provide the region with the chance to build on this history and to implement economic development strategies to take advantage of these new energy-related opportunities. The event was just the first step toward possible new energy-related economic development.
To see a summary of the event and the findings from the discussions, please click here.
The available presentations are linked in the agenda below.
9:00 a.m. Registration/Continental Breakfast
10:00 a.m. Welcome
- Fred Deel, Director, GOA
- U.S. Senator George V. Voinovich
- Anne Pope, ARC Federal Co-Chair
10:30 a.m. Panel: "New Ways of Thinking about Energy Economic Development"
Moderator: David Wilhelm, Woodland Venture Management
- Floyd Schanbacher, Professor of Animal Sciences at Ohio State University's Ohio
Agriculture Research and Development Center
- David Bayless, Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Ohio University and
Director of the Ohio Coal Research Center
- Jim Zuber, Energy Specialist, Ohio Department of Development (ODOD), Ohio Energy
- Penelope McDaniel, Center for Program Analysis, Office of Solid Waste and
Emergency Response, US Environmental Protection Agency
- Mark Shanahan, Director, Ohio Air Quality Development Authority, and Governor Strickland's Energy Advisor
12:30 p.m. Lunch
1:30 p.m. Breakout Session by Subregion/Local Development District
- Buckeye Hills-Hocking Valley Regional Development District
- Ohio Mid-Eastern Governments Association
- Ohio Valley Regional Development Commission
3:00 p.m. Financing and other Technical Assistance Opportunities and Next Steps
- Randy Monhemius, Business Program Specialist, USDA Rural Development
- Jim Zuber, Energy Specialist, Ohio Energy Office, ODOD
- Alex Stillpass, RSA, LLC
- Kevin Aspegren, Appalachian Regional Entrepreneurship Group
- Lou Gentile, Deputy Director, GOA
4:00 p.m. Conclusion