Skip to: Main Content Search Navigation Secondary Navigation
College of Arts & Sciences

History of Geological Sciences at Ohio University

A Legacy Dating Back to 1823

The Department of Geological Sciences has a long history at Ohio University, with Geology courses being taught at OHIO as early as 1823-26.

The first Ph. D. degree offered at Ohio University was in Geology to Franklin Carpenter in 1887. He was later president of the Dakota School of Mines.

Geology education has have several phases in the history of Ohio University, from the initial teaching of the subject in the early 1800s to the formation of the Botany and Geology Department in 1907, the Department of Geology and Geography in 1922, and finally the formation of the Department of Geological Sciences in 1969, with Myron Sturgeon as the first department chair.

Departmental Social Media

College of Arts & Sciences