Perkins Hall was built in 1953 and opened in the fall of 1954. It was originally the home for 210 male students.
Perkins Hall was named in honor of Dr. Eliphaz Perkins. He was born in 1753 in Connecticut. He came to Athens in 1800 as the first physician in Athens County. In 1804, he became the first treasurer of Ohio University. He also served as a trustee. He established schools for children, was the first postmaster, first county auditor, and the first apothecary merchant of Athens.
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/perkins.html) on April 26, 2013.