Ohio University - HomeApply Online Now!
Search
Ohio.edu Sites
Name Directory

Athens Campus Map and Tour
Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map

Back  Tour  Next

O'Bleness House


Location and Current Use

O'Bleness House is located in the South Green, between coordinates J-6 and K-6 on the campus map. It is marked as # 123 on the map.

O'Bleness House is a residence hall.

Residence Services provides more detailed information on line.


History of Building

O'Bleness House was built in 1968 and used as a residence hall for students. It was originally known as South Green building number 2.


Charles G. O'Bleness

O'Bleness House was named in honor of Charles G. O'Bleness. A native of Athens, he was a 1898 graduate of Ohio University. He was manager and editor of several Ohio newspapers before coming back to Athens to live. He was founder of the Security Bank of Athens. In 1895, he was partly responsible for adopting Ohio University's school colors of green and white. In 1963, he established the first named professorhip at Ohio University, the Charles G. O'Bleness Professor of Economics.

He establish a million dollar trust fund for the construction of the Charles G. O'Bleness Memorial Sheltering Arms Hospital, now known generally as "O'Bleness Memorial Hospital."


Back  Tour  Next

Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map


Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/obleness.html) on April 26, 2013.
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
(740) 593-1000
webteam@ohio.edu
Copyright © 2013 Ohio University.
 All Rights Reserved.