Ohio University - HomeApply Online Now!
Search
Ohio.edu Sites
Name Directory

Athens Campus Map and Tour
Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map

Back  Tour  Next

McGuffey Hall


Location and Current Use

McGuffey Hall is located in the College Green, between coordinates G-4 and H-4 on the campus map. It is marked as # 2 on the map.

McGuffey Hall houses University Advancement (Alumni Relations and Development), which consists of Annual Giving Programs, Planned Giving, Special Events and Publications, Corporate/Foundation Relations, Development Research, and the Assistant Director for Stewardship and Trustess Academy.


History of Building

McGuffey Hall was built in 1839 and housed students in the early 1900's, then student organizations, and finally administrative offices.

The Ohio University Trustees' meeting room and office were also in the building until they moved to Walter Hall in 2004.


William Holmes McGuffey

McGuffey Hall was named in honor of William Holmes McGuffey, the fourth president of Ohio University, serving from 1839 until 1843. He was educated at Old Stone Academy, Darlington, Pa,, and Washington College, (now Washington and Jefferson) from which he graduated with honors. He had honorary degrees of Doctor of Divinity and Laws. He was a minister, professor, and administrator. He is best known as the author of McGuffey's Eclectic Readers.


Back  Tour  Next

Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map


Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/mcguff.html) on April 26, 2013.
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
(740) 593-1000
webteam@ohio.edu
Copyright © 2013 Ohio University.
 All Rights Reserved.