Ohio University - HomeApply Online Now!
Search
Ohio.edu Sites
Name Directory

Athens Campus Map and Tour
Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map

Back  Tour  Next

Ohio University Credit Union


Location and Current Use

The Ohio University Credit Union is located on S. Shafer St., in the North West Corner, between coordinates C-1 and D-2 on the campus map. It is marked as # 117 on the map.

The Ohio University Credit Union is a banking service for Ohio University employees and their families. Some of the member benefits are checking, savings accounts, loans, Senior Associate benefits, and the Small Change Club. The Ohio University Credit Union also has an office on East State Street, which opened April 7, 2004.


History of the Building

On February 3, 1955, Dr. Harry Crewson presented the idea of a credit union to Ohio University President John C. Baker. The official charter was instituted on April 21, 1955, making the Ohio University Employees Credit Union the first university credit union in Ohio. The first office opened in the Cashier's office in Ewing Hall. After moving several places, a new building was built and opened in 1980 at the present location. Renovations and additions were made to the building in 1988, and again in 1992.

The Ohio University Employees Credit Union has grown from 112 shareholders and $11,879.23 of assets at the end of the first year to 14,000 shareholders and $87 million of assets in 1997.


Back  Tour  Next

Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map


Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/crunion.html) on April 25, 2013.
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
(740) 593-1000
webteam@ohio.edu
Copyright © 2013 Ohio University.
 All Rights Reserved.