Ohio University - HomeApply Online Now!
Search
Ohio.edu Sites
Name Directory

Athens Campus Map and Tour
Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map

Back  Tour  Next

Athens City Building


Location and Current Use

The Athens City Hall is located in the Uptown map on E. Washington ST., at coordinates H-2 on the Campus map. It is marked as # 29 on the map.

The Athens City building currently houses the offices of the Mayor, City Personnel Director, Utility Billing Office, and the Safety Service Director on the first floor, Municipal Court and Clerk of Council office on the second floor and Government Channel 5 on the third floor.


History of the Building

Construction of the Town Hall of Athens begin in 1874 and was completed in 1875, opening on June 8th. It housed the post office and auditorium which was used for public meetings and it was also known as the "Opera House" with traveling Acts performing from its stage.

In 1950 the building was remodeled and the first floor was converted into a fire station and additional office space. In 1956 the first floor was remodeled to house offices of the Mayor, City Auditor, Service Director, Water and Police departments, as well as the fire department. The Athens Police Department is now located in the Law Building. The Athens Fire department moved from the city building to their present location in 1967. In 1971 renovations was completed to the second and third floor. It consisted of a large combination room to be used for Municipal Court, City Council Chambers and offices.


Back  Tour  Next

Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map


Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/citybldg.html) on April 25, 2013.
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
(740) 593-1000
webteam@ohio.edu
Copyright © 2013 Ohio University.
 All Rights Reserved.