Brough House was built in 1969 and used as a residence hall for students. It was originally known as South Green building number 5.
Brough House was named in honor of John Brough. A native of Marietta, OH, he started to school at Ohio University at the age of14 and completed in three years. He later went to law school and became a distinguished attorney. He founded the "Cincinnati Enquirer " newspaper. He served as a trustee of Ohio University for 3 years. He served in the Ohio House Representatives from 1838-1839; was State Auditor from 1839-1845; and was Governor of Ohio from 1864-1865, dying in office. He was remembered for kicking a football over the top of the "College Edifice" (now known as Cutler Hall) while a student.
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/brough.html) on April 25, 2013.