(object placeholder)
Future + Current Students
Degree Programs
Faculty Resources
Advisors + Staff



Please be sure you do not enroll in an Ohio University course for which you already have earned transfer credit.

I. ACCEPTANCE OF CREDIT: Courses completed with a C- or better (or the equivalent) from an accredited college or university are generally accepted.

A. Semester credits will be converted to quarter credits by multiplying them by 1.5.

B. Only your credits are transferred, not your grade point average (GPA). Your OHIO GPA will be based on your OHIO grades. Some selective majors may
take into account your transfer GPA and your OHIO GPA when considering you for admission to that program. However, your final GPA upon graduation from OHIO is based solely on your OHIO grades. Your DARS (Degree Audit Report) will show a grade of T for any coursework completed outside of OHIO.

C. Courses completed with a D+, D, or D- from another Ohio public university/college will be accepted with the designation TD. If a student transfers in a course with a TD, and his major or another required course requires a grade of “C” or better for that specific course, the student must retake the course.

D. What if a course is not accepted? First, contact your college office (see next column), since that's where your transcripts go after evaluation by Undergraduate Admissions. Ask someone in your college office to check your transcript to determine why the course was not accepted. If a mistake was made, your college office should contact the Admissions Office to confirm this. The transcript can then be sent back to Admissions to add the course to your

II. EQUATION OF CREDIT: The college in which you are enrolled determines how your transfer work fulfills graduation requirements.

A. Classes are equated either to specific courses at OHIO (e.g. PSY 101) or to a department and course level (e.g. PSY 1XXL, or 100-level psychology credit) if no specific course in the department matches your transfer course. If a course is equated to 0XXL, those hours are not included in the minimum of 192 hours needed for graduation. Finally, if no department or course matches your accepted transfer course, it will be equated to "TECE" (Technical Elective) and a course level (e.g. TECE 2XXL).

B. If your transfer work has not been equated, it will not appear on your DARS (Degree Audit Report). If this happens, ask your college office to equate your work.

C. If you change colleges, your new college office may change some evaluations to apply to your new degree. Be sure to check for any new graduation requirements when you switch colleges.

D. Some performance or studio courses may need additional review by department faculty. Consult your college office for further information.

E. What if it appears that a course is equated incorrectly? This sometimes happens if a course title is unfamiliar or if no course description is available. Go to your college office to ask why the transfer course in question was equated to a particular OHIO course. Bring a catalog from the original college or university or a course syllabus (or something which has the course description). Many academic departments require a course syllabus in order to make an equation. If a mistake has been made, your college office can correct it.


Undergraduate Admissions
120 Chubb Hall
Athens, Ohio 45701


** for an easy to print version - dowload "How Transfer Credit is Accepted" from the University College Form's Page.**

University College
Chubb Hall 140
Athens, Ohio 45701
T: 740.593.1935
F: 740.593.0206

All Rights Reserved