In 1946, OHIO President John Baker established the Ohio University Fund and helped raise more than $35,000 in private gifts during the fund’s first year. As the University approached its 150th anniversary, President Baker began a scholarship initiative that is still benefiting Ohio University students today. With the generous support of more than 3,700 alumni, students and friends, the University raised $364,724 for the “Sesquicentennial Scholarship Fund.”
In 1961, President Vernon R. Alden founded the Trustees Academy, a gift society that recognizes OHIO’s most generous benefactors. OHIO’s next formal campaign, “The 1804 Capital Gifts Campaign,” launched under the leadership of President Charles Ping with a goal of $14 million. Completed in 1981, the campaign secured more than $22 million.
In 1987, President Ping launched OHIO’s “Third Century Campaign,” with a goal of $100 million. Dr. Ping’s goal to grow OHIO’s endowment was realized when the campaign ended with $132 million in 1993. By the end of the campaign, Ohio University’s endowment had grown from $54.6 million to more than $90 million.
Ten years later, the University embarked on its most ambitious campaign to date, “The Bicentennial Campaign.” Completed in 2004, the campaign was able to raise more $221 million toward its $200 million goal, doubling the goals of the “Third Century Campaign,” and securing Ohio University’s “best in class” position among other medium-sized research universities.
Major capital campaigns at Ohio University:
|The Promise Lives Campaign||$438 million (current)|
||$221 million (completed in 2004)
|The Third Century Campaign
||$132 million (completed in 1994)
|The 1804 Campaign
||$22.6 million (completed in 1981)