The place where you live, learn, and grow is important. Students come to OHIO for an excellent education. And that's only the beginning. Here they become scholars, leaders, researchers, and engaged citizens. They study abroad, volunteer, and form friendships that last a lifetime. You can, too.
Freshman Class Profile
(Fall 2012 middle 50 percent range)
- High school class rank:
-- top 16-45%
- Composite ACT:
- Combined SAT (Math + Critical Reading):
- Average GPA:
-- 3.4 (4.0 scale)
Below are some of our most commonly requested statistics. Graduation and transfer-out rates as reported to the federal government, along with other important facts and figures, are available on our Institutional Research web site.
- Located in Athens, Ohio
- 17,007 undergraduate students on the Athens campus
- More than 250 undergraduate programs
- 910+ full-time faculty (Athens campus)
- 19:1 student to faculty ratio
- 34 student average class size
- 42 residence halls housing nearly 7,300 students
- 420+ registered student organizations
- 28 fraternities and sororities
- More than 1,700 students from other countries
- 209 buildings on nearly 1,800 acres
- 16 NCAA Division I teams in the Mid-American Conference
- Average freshman total need-based gift aid: $6,141
Ohio University has been cited for academic quality and value by such publications as U.S. News and World Report, America's 100 Best College Buys, Princeton Review's Best Colleges, and Peterson's Guide to Competitive Colleges. The John Templeton Foundation has also recognized Ohio University as one of the top character-building institutions in the country. Currently, Ohio University ranks among the top in the state of Ohio for nationally competitive awards won by its students.
Ohio University is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, as well as by a number of professional accrediting agencies.
Established in 1804, Ohio University is the oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of Ohio and the first in the Northwest Territory. Admission to Ohio University is granted to the best-qualified applicants as determined by a selective admission policy.
View our College Portrait online.